Screen Load Sluggish

Lerm 16:05 06 Jan 06

The loading of data on my desktop has become sluggish and instead of popping up instantly is 'scrolling' when loading both off and online. Also, online, there is a stutter when scrolling up or down a web page.

I have done a spyware search (used the smitfraud spyware remover in safemode then did an Ewido scan and removed the stuff as I've suffered from this in the past and know such spyware highjacks the desktop) then rebooted but still have the problem.

Things were fine last night. The only change since then is a download and installation - dare I say it - of an XP security update, the KB912919 one today. Also, a screensaver, 'Flight Over the Sea' was removed because every time it kicked in the screen went black and I had to Ctrl/Alt/Esc to get it back up again.

I have also checked the power settings on my PC and the monitor - a Samsung SyncMaster 957DF is set at 'Never' so as not to power down.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Skyver 16:09 06 Jan 06

Have you checked your graphics drivers?

Lerm 16:11 06 Jan 06

I haven't Skyver. I will check ATI to see if there is a recent update. I have noted just now following another thread that the Windows security patch I have cited is to do with the graphics rendering engine. Would be a huge coincidence if the installing of the patch and this problem are unrelated!

Lerm 16:40 06 Jan 06

Skyver, you were right. Downloaded ATI driver update and it works fine now. Usually the simple things. Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…