Screen gone crazy-recovered from hardware failure

Mr Scone 19:37 29 Feb 04

Whilst browsing the internet today, my screen went completely haywire. Lots of small black lines/checks came up on the screen before my screen resolution and colours got totally screwed up and set to the lowest settings. A message popped up saying that a hardware device had recovered from a serious error (or something similar - can't rememeber the exact wording) and that i should save and reboot. I rebooted and still the same. Turned off PC, left for an hour, rstarted and still the same :0(

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that my graphics card is knackered. I may be wrong (and if I am please correct me) but I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

I'm running Win XP HE on a Mesh Athlon 1900
XP system. My graphics card is a GeForce 3 ti500.

Thanks

MS

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 19:41 29 Feb 04

Try reinstallin the drivers or updateing them,or even rolling them back to before the error.

Regards.

Mr Scone 20:38 29 Feb 04

I would (and will try to) if i could. Now my monitor is displaying the message "Signal frequency is out of range. FH 14.0kHz FV 26Hz. Please change signal timing"

Any idea what that means?

Thanks for the idea though - obvious you mention it.

MS

JIM 21:11 29 Feb 04

if the signal from the video adapter exceeds the scan range of the monitor. The video adapter setting for updating the screen (the refresh rate) is incompatible with the monitor.

Try the safe mode set display properties to the 16 color 640x480 video and then restart the machine to normal mode. Then you should be able to set the v/adapter, screen and refresh rates to what you should have.

Mr Scone 22:51 29 Feb 04

Thanks for the advice JIM, but I think i've already tried that option.

Before the monitor displayed the message it is currently showing, i tried to change the colours, screen resolution and refresh rates back to normal. They would not change. I would set them and Windows would display the usual countdown asking if I wanted to keep the new settings, but in fact nothing had changed and when I checked the settings they were in fact still on the lowest setting.

Also, there is something other than the settings wrong because I had (before the monitor stopped working) several, equally spaced, thick lines running down the screen which made viewing the display v. difficult.

Any other advice guys?

MS

MESH Support 09:49 01 Mar 04
  JIM 10:24 01 Mar 04
  Mr Scone 20:02 01 Mar 04

Thank you Mesh Support for taking an interest. It is a refreshing change to have Mesh actively trying to resolve issues with their machines and shows that they are trying to improve their customer services which has in the past received some critisism.

I have sent you my details MESH and look forward to receiving your reply/contact. If there is a problem with the hardware, is it likely that I will receive a replacement graphics card?

Thanks Davey,

MS

Mr Scone 09:20 03 Mar 04

I've heard back from Davey at Mesh and am now trying to organise a time when I can be available to receive a call from technical support. I'm not usually in until 6pm during the week, but Mesh phone service finishes at 6 so I am trying to arrange to get back early on Friday.

I'll keep you posted

MS

Mr Scone 08:25 12 Mar 04

Just a quick update

Arranged time off on for friday afternoon after 4.30 and e-mailed Davey at Mesh to ask if someone could phone me after 5 on Friday. That was last Wednesday (over a week ago) and I still haven't heard back from either Davey or an engineer.

Davey suggested registering for their e-mail support in the original e-mail i received. Does anyone know if this is worth doing? I am becoming increasingly frustrated by not having my PC available for use.

What's the best thing to do guys?

MS

MESH Support 09:46 12 Mar 04

I apologise for this. I have your email on my desktop as a reminder and for some reason I have the alarm set for a call to be made to you today.

I hadn't intended on contacting you to see how you got on until after the call was made, hence no further contact from me.

Are you available today at all? If not is there anything else I can arrange to get this support started?

Davey

Mesh SUpport

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…