Screen Freezing

hallgreen 14:44 31 Dec 07

Hello

Must be a very common problem and I have had it return again. However I seem to have tried most things including Microsft "5 ways to keep you PC clean" and Reg Cure and System Restore and De frag etc etc.

My computer freezes completely Crt,Alt,Delete won't work and the only way to get it back is to switch off, wait a min or two and start again.

The strangest thing is that there is absolutely no pattern. One day it will do it with 2 mins, the next not for 2 hours, the next 4 times a day the next not at all!

Any thoughts. Thanks

ICF 14:46 31 Dec 07

PC Spec??

hallgreen 14:56 31 Dec 07

I'm a bit of a computer novice but some info;

It uses Windows XP has 74.5 GB memomry of which 57 GB is spare and has 512MB RAM. Does mean much to me!

palinka 16:17 31 Dec 07

I had a similar problem approx 15 years ago! Turned out to be a graphics card problem. It ddn't depend on time spent, but on what I did and what triggered the freeze was scrollling horizontally.

birdface 17:07 31 Dec 07

Make sure the air vents at the back of the computer are free from dust and fluff. if so inside will also need cleaning out.

Micro-Man 18:08 31 Dec 07

Look at click here . I've had numerous pc's made between 2000 and 2002 fail due to faulty capacitors where many were bulging or had a dried crust on them and one had even exploded.

hallgreen 19:49 03 Jan 08

Thanks for the info. I think I will give "capacitors" a try as the screen is still frezzing without any pattern and after 2 mins or 6 hours depending on its mood

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…