Screen Display Border - really baffled by this

Viv-208691 13:13 14 Nov 04

Hi there, in the early hours of this morning i was checking for problems using Spybot S+D when my girlfriend slammed down the laptop lid in anger because she wanted to go to sleep and the laptop was keeping her awake. Anyway, this morning I opened the screen back out to find that the picture on the screen had a massive (3 inch) border all the way around it! I restarted my laptop but to no avail, still the same problem occured. However if i go to properties on desktop then go to appearance and change the resolution the screen pcture goes back to its full size. But when i restarted my laptop again it reverted back to the thick black border. Every time i turn on/restart my laptop i have to change the resoultion in order to get a full size picture. Can anyone help me get the full picture back aain from startup!??

Thanks a lot.

Viv-208691 13:15 14 Nov 04

And if i change to a different resoultion and then back to my usual 180x1024 it works fine. But as you can imagine this process gets irratating every time i start up and also im a little concerned.

Thankyou if you are able to assist.

Vsz

Viv-208691 15:03 14 Nov 04

somebody please help, i really havent the foggiest how to fix it! my girlfriend is starting to get a little concerned.

Thanks

Graham ® 15:11 14 Nov 04

And so she should! I think either the backlight or the reflective screen may be dislodged. I'll try to find a picture.

Graham ® 15:18 14 Nov 04

Here's one click here

Viv-208691 15:19 14 Nov 04

oh god, so what do i need to do about it? it seems weird that if i change resolution its ok doesnt it??

Thanks, please assist further!

Graham ® 16:40 14 Nov 04

If you can get to full screen it may not be as bad as I first thought.

It may just be that a Fn key (bottom left) combination has been activated, to give a different display for an external monitor, for example.

Viv-208691 16:45 14 Nov 04

ah ok
i will experiment with that

i will let you know how it goes in a min

Viv-208691 17:16 14 Nov 04

ok, the problem is that it seems to start up in CRT mode, how can i change this?

Cheers

Dorsai 17:32 14 Nov 04

Perhaps you need a quieter laptop, or use it out of the bed-room. My other half used to love playing games on her mobile in bed. Beep, beep, click click.

2 nighs on her own, as i slept in peace on the sofa cured that.

Viv-208691 17:40 14 Nov 04

hmm thanks a lot, can anyone help me?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…