Screen dims

K*B 19:42 04 Jan 11

Friends, I use a Compac laptop with Intel Celeron and running Windows Vista Home Basic. I notice that whenevr power is disconnected or lost for some reason the screen dims and brightens up again when power is restored. I have an HP laptop which does not behave this way. This causes me to think that maybe my compac laptop has a problem? It still has its battery pack and the fact that the laptop does not switch off when power is diconnected tells me the battery is ok. My only concern is that the sreen dims when power is lost. Any fixes? Thanks in advance.

OTT_B 19:51 04 Jan 11

That's normal. The power settings on battery put less light onto the screen (to preserve battery life).
If it irritates you for any reason, set your power options to run the screen at max brightness on battery (click the battery icon on the bottom right corner, close to the clock).

K*B 20:12 04 Jan 11

Thanks OTT_B, I clicked on the battery icon in the systray at the right-hand bottom corner of the screen and the power plan selected is "Balanced". What does that meean? Thanks again.

Forum Editor 20:21 04 Jan 11

are usually best for people who mainly work at home, where there's easy access to a mains power supply.

The setting tries to find a balance between performance and the power requirements of the computer's hardware. It's an attempt to give you the best of both worlds.

If you select the high performance setting the computer will go all out to provide speed, but it will use more of your available battery power.

The power saving setting is the one for people who take their laptops out and about - it will maximise the battery charge life at the expense of performance.

K*B 21:02 04 Jan 11

Thanks very much, forum editor.

woodchip 22:07 04 Jan 11

In other words if you only use it at Home and on Mains electric, Set it to best performance and turn the Battery Saver of when on Mains. You can set this from Start\Control Panel\Power Options. It will be set to Laptop but you do not need to change that, go through the settings, you will see one for Monitor Hard Drive etc.

Or you may be able to set it by the Icon you used by Right Clicking on it, then Settings

woodchip 22:14 04 Jan 11

You should be able to set the seconds before it dims if PC not used or turn it off all together, using the above in Control Panel or Laptop Maker Software

K*B 14:06 05 Jan 11

Thanks friends.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…