SCREEN CUTTING OUT

ScarFace(M.O.D) 13:07 02 May 06

HELP my screen keeps cutting out for no apparent reason when 1 of my kids plays games on it. ive had to format my drive twice and reinstall xp home, then xp professiona by mistake, now my professional isnt registered/validated, could it be because of that? is there sumwhere i can get a copy of xp home? download? as i have the original cd key on the back of my unit along with ahead nero (which i havent got anymore aswell) please help.. email me @ [email protected] if any ideas

Pre-thanks

:)

ScarFace(M.O.D) 13:08 02 May 06

i forgot to say, the monitor just comes up NO SIGNAL and goes on stand by

Gongoozler 13:33 02 May 06

The monitor aying "No Signal" is just telling you that there is no video from the computer. If this is happening only when the kids are playing games but independent of the version of Windows then I suspect a graphics card overheating problem, but I have also heard of this being caused by an underpowered PSU and by a faulty motherboard. Why did you have to reformat your hard drive? If you have the key for your original Windows disk registered in your name, but have lost the disk it's just possible that if you phone Microsoft helpline they will send you a replacement disk.

ScarFace(M.O.D) 15:54 02 May 06

phoned microsoft and they said to call them with the cd key so will have to wait until i get home. only problem is its on the back of my unit which means its a disk that came with my computer and they said if that was the case they WOULDNT send one out. damn cheapskate £%^&(*($*&£$^*'s......

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Gongoozler 17:44 02 May 06

Hi ScarFace(M.O.D). If the cd was with the computer, then it may be a restore disk, in which case the computer maker may be able to supply a replacement, or an oem version of Windows.

I asked why you reformatted because I was wondering if there would be a clue there. If you were getting an error message this would point to the software that might be causing a problem, but if it is a hardware problem, reformatting wouldn't have helped anyway.

Stuartli 17:53 02 May 06

Microsoft is not acting in a cheapskate manner and you are completely incorrect to say so.

You clearly have an OEM version of your operating system and, therefore, the support for it comes from the supplier of your system.

Microsoft will, rightly, only offer support for retail versions.

wee eddie 18:15 02 May 06

You haven't said what the Graphics set-up is or what game is being played?

I strongly suspect that the Card is either failing or not up to the game. It might be worthwhile re-seating it.

Ray5776 19:02 02 May 06

How can you accidently install an invalid copy of XP Pro ?

ScarFace(M.O.D) 14:57 06 May 06

playing warcraft mainly, and its only done it since i have put xp pro on it. im gunna get a home edition disk from a friend and reboot it with that on it i thnk its for the best, thanks guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…