Screen is blank connecting to a website in XP

BillD 16:14 21 Feb 04

I am trying to connect to click here and if I connect on my laptop it opens ok. When I use my PC the activity at the bottom of the screen occurs, counting down how many pictures, etc and eventually 'done' but I am left with a blank screen.
I have contacted the local council IT department several times, mostly not getting a call back - the one suggestion they made did not work.
Can anyone suggest the problem.
I have been using the PC on the web for about a year and not had anything similar happen.

Forum Editor 17:49 21 Feb 04

because they exclude a large percentage of their potential audience before they start.

Flash is fine in the right place and at the right time, but it's hardly necessary on a site that advertises a conference venue in the Peak District.

BillD 18:27 21 Feb 04

I have downloaded Flash and it appeared to respond correctly to the macromedia site but it has made no difference to the one I am trying to connect to. Is there something else I need to do?

BillD 19:56 21 Feb 04

The example you supplied worked fine. I have restarted the PC but still no good on the one I want. Thanks for your help.

jgosden 20:30 21 Feb 04

i don't think flash is the problem because if you look at the site it dosn't appear to contain much or any flash, it just says it does. certainly on the home page and the main page there is no flash and it looks like flash is only required for the zoomable map. i am not sure of the problem, maybe javascript should be enabled, maybe it is on a slow web server that is timing out on your connection, i wouldn't have replyed however feel sure that flash is not the issue here.

PurplePenny 21:08 21 Feb 04

I've just tried disabling various options on Opera - JavaScript, Plug-ins, animated gifs, reloading the page each time; it opened with each of them turned off. Certain aspects of the site, such as the zoomable map when plug-ins were disbaled and a back button with JavaScript off, stopped working but the homepage opened just fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…