Screen being overwritten

m800afc 16:14 17 Jan 12

Intel Core i7 CPU [email protected] 3.81GHz 12Gb RAM ATI Radeon HD 5770 Monitor 1 - BenQ2400W (Landscape) Monitor 2 - BenQ2400W (Portrait) Win 7 Pro 64bit: Epson Stylus Photo R1900: Saitek Eclipse III Keyboard

I am experiencing a problem with one folder. The folder is in the root directory of an external drive. When I open the folder it initially opens normally, but when I use my mouse the screen is over written and in a short space of time is unreadable, see screen shot. All other folders appear normally. I have checked for virus/malware and none is found. I have restarted the computer and it still persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

Screen Shot

m800afc 16:22 17 Jan 12

Sorry, forgot to mention:

CHKDSK has completed but the problem persists.

I have tried to backup the folder, but the problem is also carried over, and again the problem persits

lotvic 02:29 18 Jan 12

Just guessing here:

Maybe that the folders contents have become fragmented so Windows Explorer is having a hard time finding all the bits. Perhaps defragging the drive might cure it?

File Folders within folders, I think there is a limit on this but don't know what it is, I believe performance is affected over a certain number.

Bris 19:32 18 Jan 12

Try lowering your screen resolution one notch and see if that helps.

Ibanez2010 21:33 18 Jan 12

Maybe the amount of files in that folder is too many. There is a limit of 65,384 per folder on a FAT32 drive, and your external disk drive might be formatted in this way. This would be ok on a NTFS formatted hard drive.

Bris 15:55 19 Jan 12

ibanez2010.. I believe the limit you mention relates to FAT 16 and not FAT32 or NTFS which are lots more.

My guess is that this problem is down to the screen settings such as resolution or perhaps refresh rate or it could be the video driver as no matter how many files there are the PC should still present them one screen at a time with a scroll bar, but I could of course be wrong!

User-312386 19:04 19 Jan 12

Oh my - I havent seen something like that for year and years. It's a coruption within the actual drive itself. This does not appear to be a graphics fault as a screen print would not capture that, therefore we can rule out that.

Have you tried the external drive on another PC?

m800afc 15:28 08 Feb 12

Hello all,

I have managed a workround. It was pointed out by lotvic that there is a maximum number of files you can have in one folder. Having a spare drive, I selected folders from the drive in question, by guessing where the list of files started to aprox a third of the files. I transferred the selection to the spare drive. I repeated this, which gave me three folders on the spare drive, each containing a third of the files. I was then able to delete the over written folder and reformat the drive. I then ran Eraser 6.0.9 (7 passes) erasing all data on the drive. I then ran chkdsk which completed without finding any problems. Having done this I created three new folders and copied a third of the files from the spare drive into each. I have had no further problems with the drive, and must assume that the problem was that I exceded the maximum number of files. It took ages to do all this, but I can now enjoy my music again.

Thanks for your suggestions.

lotvic 15:34 08 Feb 12

Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it. Certainly will help others coming up against the same problem.

Happy music listening :))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…