Screen Adjustment Problem

Rebuilt 10:25 10 Jun 09

I was relating this to my USB problem but that is now fixed and was something totally unrelated (USB driver problem) so I am now left with just this one minor issue.

I have an nVidia GEFORCE 430 onboard graphics card and I run Vista Ultimate. The screen is low on the screen (bottom edge cut off and dark strip at the top) despite adjusting my screen as far north as I can.

When I load the nVidia screen adjustment tool then it immediately corrects itself until I next restart.

OK - all of this sounds like a Vista driver problem except that, if I boot into DOS, the A:> prompt is half off the bottom edge of the screen.

This makes me think it might be something to do with with the screen itself (a Sony pnp flat screen about 3 years old) or the graphics chip (MB is ASROCK about 1 year old & no other indications of problems).

I have been into BIOS setup and checked voltages and everything seems OK.

This is not a major problem - just annoying - but I would welcome any suggestions on what component may be at fault and how to resolve this.

T0SH 11:07 10 Jun 09

Try resetting your screen back to its default settings this is usually an option from the main menu screen , this way if nothing else it will eliminate the screen as the cause of your problem

cheers HC

Rebuilt 08:11 11 Jun 09

OK - Done that and no improvement.

I had already played around with the screen settings trying to get this right but this time I booted into DOS and did a series of DIR's to get the screen full. When I did a full reset the A> prompt went completely off the bottom of the screen.

This really excludes Vista drivers so I guess that leaves me with a choice of :-
a) Chipset drivers
b) Knackered graphics chip
c) knackered screen

When I am in Vista and I have run the NVIDIA control panel (I dont need to change anything) then everything looks fine.

The onboard graphics is :
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Any other ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…