Screeching PC

ElwoodPDowd 13:18 18 May 04

Hi

I have recently bought a new PC. 64bit AMD Athlon, 512mb ram. Has worked fine for first 10 days or so then thsi morning when I turn it on I get a loud high pitched screeching noise coming from the CPU. The PC works fine but my ear drums now do not. I have a blue panel on the front which shows the temperature etc but now all the lcd bits of that display are lit at once so I'm guessing that's something to do with the problem, isit the power supply? It's driving me insane. Anyone any ideas? Much appreciated, thanks.

€dstowe 13:29 18 May 04

Quote: "I have recently bought a new PC"

Get your supplier to fix it, not your repsonsibility and, if you mess around too much with it, you may invalidate warranties.

€d

ElwoodPDowd 13:32 18 May 04

Yes, thst would be the sensible thing to do. The problem is I bought it off ebay and it took forever to come. I can't afford to be without a PC for long as I use it for work so if it's easy enough to fix (and cheap enough) I'd rather take that option and sort it myself rather than risk being without it for 2-3 weeks.

€dstowe 13:39 18 May 04

Oh! I can't help very much in that case. someone will be along soon, I'm sure, with some practical advice.

TomJerry 13:48 18 May 04

then you can think the solution

TomJerry 13:59 18 May 04

Maybe the screeching noise is just a warning sound. The most common causes of overheating are (1) no proper contact between cpu and heatsink (2) cooling fan faulty.

Maybe you got a doggy "overclocked" PC, not real fast PC. Overclock slow components to make them work faster will definitely generate a lot of heat and hence overheating.

stlucia 14:06 18 May 04

I second €dstowe's advice about sending it back if it's a new PC.

But if you really want to take the risk of dealing with it yourself, from your initial description the fault would appear to be with the fan on the CPU. As TomJerry says, if you open the case it should be more obvious where the noise is coming from.

ElwoodPDowd 15:35 18 May 04

The noise is coming from the power supply. I've as yet had no response from the supplier of the PC. What can I do?

Fruit Bat 15:45 18 May 04

The only thing that should make a noise in the PS is the fan. Screeching probably means the bearings are US if so send back. You may be lucky and something is caught in the fan you can ease out (very unlikely). Opening up the powersupply would invalidate any warrenty and possibly expose you to mains voltage (zap your dead)so make sure unplugged if you go that far. New power supplies are pretty cheap so easier and safer to replace anyway

TomJerry 15:50 18 May 04

many to choose from, for cheap ones click here, for high quality and quiet ones go to click here

Cannot understand why people buy "expensive" PCs from Ebay. Ebay price is only marginally cheaper than best web-based proper supplier. Really do not know how you can get readdress from a Ebay seller.

Diemmess 17:37 18 May 04

You have a problem, but it seems no easy remedy via the vendor..............So

Try and make sure where the noise is coming from then this thread will likely suggest a remedy.

Almost certainly dodgy bearings on a fan.........So

Off with the case and have a sliver of wood handy. Some slim dowel or even an unsharpened wooden pencil.

There will be a fan on the CPU and maybe one on the video card or elsewhere on the motherboard.

When the squeal starts gently poke your stick into the fan and stop it! You need only do this for a moment and are unlikely to damage by stalling it or even mark it if you are gentle.
If the noise stops, you have found it! .........If not try the next fan.

If you stay with only the motherboard fans and still don't find the cause, it could be in the PSU, but don't touch this at all. Replacement is your only option there.

It could just be a HD bearing, though it is more difficult to prove this unless the computer is beginning to throw errors all over the place.

If you can isolate the culprit let us know, there may be an easy solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…