//some 3rd party need geo

Scratched DVD / CD - How To Repair

Jester2K II 14:14 03 Jul 03

I have a step son who (after having wreaked several CDs) still doesn't understand that putting CDs and DVDs down on surfaces and not in the case causes scratches, and that its these scratches that cause our CDs and DVDs to skip or refuse to play (When i show him that "clean" CDs and DVS play OK he still insists it my DVD player / CD Player / Someone elses fault!)

How can i repair light scratches on the underside (play side) of CDs and DVDs. I've seen "SkipDoctor" type things for £25. Are these worth it?

Bandy 14:46 03 Jul 03

I've had a similar problem with my grandson who has since been the subject of a re-education programme.

I've not found any programmes that have helped much and the most success has been with water and lint free cloth polishing, however there have been many failures.

Nowadays whenever a new cd is purchased the original is copied and put in a safe place, and the grandson then gets the copy. Not entirely an ideal situation but it works for us.

Bodi 14:46 03 Jul 03

click here

These little gadgets may interest you.

Bodi

Bodi 14:50 03 Jul 03

Seems to have registered the main page.

In the catagory box choose "All hardware" for (next box) type "CD Repair" - should bring you to a page with three repair gadgets. Clicking on "info" will give you more details.

Bodi

Jester2K II 14:57 03 Jul 03

Bandy - cheers. Have fixed a few with just a clean duster and a huff or two of breath. Saly my Brother In laws LOTR DVD seems to be past this repair.

Might have to find a Disk Doctor as cheap as possible - £25 could save a lot of money in the long run in replacements....

Bodi 15:04 03 Jul 03

I am considering Disk Doctor too - 'cos my grandson has just badly scratched one of his Playstation games. (Rubbed it across the bedroom mirror)

Also have a few others that need repair.

Bodi

TheGingerTom 18:24 06 Jul 03

Have never failed to restore a CD or DvD using good old elbow grease! OK. Perhaps Liquid metal polish on duster had a part to play. The secret is to apply radially (ie strokes from centre to outside edge). I normally work way around disk 2 or 3 times and finish by buffing. Always use soft cloth (yellow duster type recommended).

madPentium 21:05 06 Jul 03

I used brasso some time ago when trying to sort out a scratched game. I rubbed the brasso into the surface for about 30 minutes, in all sorts of directions. I was shocked cause after washing with soapy water it looked like an ice skating rink at the end of the day. However, it still loads to this very day.

mammak 21:46 06 Jul 03

Hi,Jester2K II,my 21 yr old and 17yrold are just the same , no regard now a day,s for anyone,s property, as all above might solve how too fix the dvd,s or disc,s on a temp measure, the best way is too bann them all together from using your pc and software, until such a time they can respect it, they will learn , beleive me it work,s, infact my little one she,s only 6 i feel more able too let her use the main pc than the big one,s, i have set it so as i have to be there with them make,s them feel like kid,s and it work,s in the long run.

Sie1 21:56 06 Jul 03

Have a look for a product called CDefender or suchlike. It is an adhesive film which sticks to the read side of a scratched disc and often renders them playable as well as preventing further damage.
I've not actually used them but friends of mine have had success in repairing even quite badly scratched disc.
Regards

jazzypop 22:09 06 Jul 03

click here then click on section 3.7

Similar advice at click here

Plenty of commercial options at click here

I have used the adhesive film approach in the past as a preventative measure for high-value CDs that need to be used frequently (i.e. thos e that I could not make a backup of, and use that in place of the original) - I found them very effective.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…