Scheduling ChkDsk

Scrivers 12:08 PM 24 Jul 11

Can anyone advise on how to re-set chkdsk. I seem to have set it to check my disk on a regular basis and now often have to wait several minutes at startup whilst it performs its task. I cannot find how to reset it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:11 PM 24 Jul 11

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

or if the volume dirty bit is set, eachtime Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

First click Start> Run> and bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and then type "fsutil dirty query d:" but without the quotes. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!

Scrivers 12:28 PM 24 Jul 11

Thanks Fruit Bat. I'll give it a go

birdface 13:23 PM 24 Jul 11

[often have to wait several minutes at start up whilst it performs its task.]

Takes my computer about 3 hours to do a chkdsk.

Maybe run it using the normal method and once run it may sort itself out again.

My computer.right click C drive .properties.Tools,And tick both boxes.Then press start and it will tell you it will start at the next boot up.

Try that if none of Fruit Bat /\0/\'s remedies work.

Scrivers 21:34 PM 24 Jul 11

Thanks Butemam. I'll try that first before I try Fruit Bat's more complex solution.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites