Scheduled Defrag of C Drv in XP - anyone know how?

Glancing Blow 21:56 31 Oct 04

I have battled for sometime now to try and get the computer to turn on in the night and Defrag the C drv, and the others if poss? But it will only start the Defrag Prog and not the Defraging of the C drv.

Out of interest I can get it to do things like Norton Scan at night. But I am just unable to get it to perform the Defrag of the C drv.

Any Ideas?

jabisfab 22:45 31 Oct 04

Have you got Norton Utilities and checked out Speed Disk? This has Schedule Options included to optimize drives and dependant upon level of defragment.

VoG II 22:51 31 Oct 04

Or use Diskeeper click here and the "Set it and Forget it" option.

PSF 22:52 31 Oct 04

I do not know of any programs that will automate the defrag, you could just click start when you go to bed.

If you defrag at least once a week it should not take long, my master drive is 120gb with 65gb used, a defrag only takes 5-10 minutes.
With XP if the pc is left on it does organise itself (mini defrag) when you leave it idle.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 13:43 30 Nov 04

I guess there's no free equivalent to Diskeeper 9? Is it something you use and recommend?

Technotiger 14:16 30 Nov 04

Hi, go to click here (Free) this does allow you to set your own automatic defrag schedule. The defrag is also very speedy. lol

Technotiger 14:18 30 Nov 04

ps: The defrag program is called VoptXP ...

JaßîsFaß ˜ 19:04 01 Dec 04

Anyone else use this VoptXP defrag program, and without problems?

ACOLYTE 19:12 01 Dec 04

click here

The lite version and free version of diskeeper,i used to use this before i went to diskeeper8,its good but only does 1 hard drive at a time.

Technotiger 19:13 01 Dec 04

Hi again, I use it all the time without problems, otherwise I would not have recommended it. lol It was earlier recommended within this forum, which is where I got it - and very glad I did.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 19:21 01 Dec 04

Cheers for feedback, helps to know you were lead to it via this forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…