scesrv.dll missing

grumpy-git 20:05 20 Dec 08

xp machine won't load, seems the above file is missing.

Comes up with message:-
services.exe unable to locate component etc.

Tried safe mode & still same problem.

Did a search elsewhere & was about to follow some instructions to download a file, but the link to the file didn't work, so I need some help please.

g-g

MAJ 20:56 20 Dec 08

If you have an XP CD, do a repair install of XP. click here

grumpy-git 21:19 20 Dec 08

Thanks MAJ,

Unfortunately XP was pre-installed on the machine.

I have an Acronis backup of the c drive from 3 weeks ago, and thought that would have the file - but scesrv.dll is not on there.

Looking at another forum, I saw this - click here
Seemed that person had a very simple solution. Don't think I've used f10 before??? Might that be an answer, not that I fully understand it.

I think the last time the XP machine was switched of, it was because some windows updates were waiting to be installed. Normally I "hibernate" it. Maybe something went wrong then?

g-g

MAJ 21:30 20 Dec 08

"Don't think I've used f10 before??? Might that be an answer, not that I fully understand it."

What he did was (I guess) a recovery from the backup partition installed by the manufacturer of his computer. Some of those allow you to do a non-destructive repair, much like the XP repair I suggested in my last post. I don't know if you have that option, so I wont suggest it as you could wipe your drive back to factory settings.

Does pressing F8 on startup allow you to view the advanced startup menu, which will contain the "Last known good confiruration" option. If it does, use that.

grumpy-git 22:19 20 Dec 08

Thanks again MAJ,

"Does pressing F8 on startup allow you to view the advanced startup menu, which will contain the "Last known good confiruration" option. If it does, use that."

Yes, did that, it then ran chkdsk. I noticed a few "file record segments unreadable", also some "deleting an index entry from index $0 of file 25" but it did finally restart Windows & pc is now running.

First thing I am doing is an Acronis full backup of the c drive, and also the hidden partition, just in case it goes belly up.

Is the hard drive on the blink or do these things happen from time to time?

g-g

MAJ 22:28 20 Dec 08

....can be symptomatic of bad sectors on the hard drive, grumpy-git. Bad Sectors aren't good in the long run, they usually mean a drive is on it's way out.

MAJ 22:36 20 Dec 08

Check out your drive manufacturer's site, most of them have some free drive diagnostic software you can download to test the hard drive.

grumpy-git 23:01 20 Dec 08

OK MAJ, I'll try that.

The pc is about 4 years old & nothing has been replaced, so I've probably been lucky.

I'll make cloning the c drive a priority, must look into how I do that. Will mark this as resolved now.

Thanks again.

g-g

grumpy-git 23:22 20 Dec 08

Ah, just come up with a message shutting down, something to do with NT authority system. I was just trying to look in control panel to find out what make the drives are.

Now it won't restart again, tried it with last known good configuration (which got round problem last time) but get:-
c\windows\system32\scesrv.dll is not a valid windows image.

Oh dear.....

MAJ 00:43 21 Dec 08

I would, if it's possible for you to do, take out your hard drive, install it in another computer as a slave, or, install it in a drive enclosure and connect it to another computer via USB and get your important files backed up. You could even run your drive manufacturer's diagnostic software from the other computer to check the drive out. You can then run your manufacturer's recovery option to bring the drive back to factory settings, after reinstalling it in your own computer, if the diagnostic software gives a good report. The most important thing is to get your impotant files backed up.

grumpy-git 01:17 21 Dec 08

I can see the scesrv.dll file on the external drive, which has a copy of the recovery partition. I can also get a copy of the file from a backup I did in November. Either of these can be transferred to a cd, but how can I then write the file to the c drive of the "problem" pc so that it can read a good copy of the file?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple