Scavenging Parts?

dublincity 01:53 13 Apr 05

I've acquired for the price of two packets of baccy a 6GB Compaq, Pentium 2 without an internal modem. I've been given a modem with its driver on a CD and the local repair-person will fit it for me. Some details of the Compaq are:-

Physical Memory Total:..................................................66637824 (63MB)

RAM Status:...........................................Avail: 12,360 KB Used: 52,716 KB

Paging File:........................................Avail: 116,148 KB Used: 134,648 KB

Virtual Memory:........................................Avail: 1.973 GB Used: 27,896 KB

Number of Processors:.................................................................1

Processor Identifier:.....................x86 Family 6 Model 5 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel

CPU Frequency:...........................................................397.946980 MHz

Processor Level:......................................................................6

My even older 2GB Dell, Pentium 1 is pretty decrepit and I was expecting to keep it as a spare or to dump it. I wonder if the HD and memory card would be compatible with the Compaq and could be transferred to it?

Some details of the Dell are:-

- Hard Disk (C) Generic IDE Type 55, Space 2 GB

64.0MB RAM : extended memory 64.512 MB (data displayed on screen).

- The Memory X website stated that this model had

max. memory of 512 MB, 4 banks of 1 memory slots, & 0 MB of non-removable memory.

howard60 07:07 13 Apr 05

if the old one still works it could be useful to network it to the new one. Most parts might be worth saving but probably more trouble than it is worth.

dublincity 07:22 13 Apr 05

Thanks - the old one works except there's a prob with both USB ports dead and the modem driver not installing. P.S. I've just removed the HD so it probably won't work again!

I'm setting up a network with a good PC and the recently acquired Compaq so the very old Dell isn't really necessary. I did manage to network any 2 out of 3!

I've read up about 'memory' - I'll need something extra in the Compaq. I'm curious to know if the Dell HD can be put into the Compaq - it's set-up with Win 98 SE --- could that stay on and be bootable?

Diodorus Siculus 07:40 13 Apr 05

The Dell HD may boot the compaq but will likely be unstable - different hardware drivers loaded.

Best to do a clean install of Windows and use the Dell disk as a slave to the compaq for storage, backups etc.

dublincity 18:29 13 Apr 05

Thanks - I'll look into that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 13 Apr 05

Put the dell hdd in compaq as slave to give total as 8G

Can you also put memory from dell into compaq to increase to 128mb

dublincity 20:30 13 Apr 05

Thanks - I can't quite figure out which of the 3 cards is the memory card. The 'book' says it's 'green with black squares'. They're all green but none have black squares. Another note says it's smaller than the sound or graphic cards. OK. There's something about tipping at an angle before pulling it out. All 3 are 'stuck' & I don't want to damage them.

The Dell HD is a Western Digital - Caviar. 22100.

Would I need to d/l the driver?

Any drivers I've d/l'ed before either didn't instal or didn't work if they did instal.

dublincity 22:31 13 Apr 05

I couldn't find a driver for Western Digital - Caviar. 22100 on the driver sites.

dan11 22:42 13 Apr 05

" There's something about tipping at an angle before pulling it out. All 3 are 'stuck' & I don't want to damage them. "

Ah. We are talking EDO ram. To take out EDO ram, you pull the spring clips at the end of each stick. They are usually very tight. When they get to the desired tension, they flip over to a 45 degree angle. When they are in this position, you can pull them out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:51 13 Apr 05

You will not need a driver for the hard drives.

dan11 22:58 13 Apr 05

An EDO ram 72 pin simm memory module. Green and black.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…