Scanreg and when to reformat 98SE

Diemmess 15:16 12 Sep 04

My eldest son's computer is in a mess, and too late to use Ghost to transfer to a needed larger HD. I spent a busy morning getting BT to work at all.

W98SE runs his needs very well......... but now the chips are down. BT Yahoo is sulking and though it briefly recovered, at his home again it has now failed once more.I have been told in plain terms to have the thing back again and get it right this time!!

My question is that early on I ran scanreg /restore and found the latest of four backups all in April 04!

I have always assumed that scanreg ran in the background but it seems to have switched off.

The Microsoft info. suggests that it runs by default, but doesn't say how to ensure this?

It is an opportunity to give him a larger partitioned HD and reinstall everything, but it is not first choice on a wet weekend.

If I overwrite "setup" Windows from the original full CD, it will lose or reset the various apps. won't it leaving me wishing I had started from scratch?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…