Scanning transparencies

algrey 22:14 20 Oct 04

Anyone know what resolution I should be scanning transparencies to store on cd and ulimately print upto A4 size? Default seems to be 300dpi but I can apply a higher resolution.

Giggle n' Bits 22:44 20 Oct 04

there is no default. The more/higher res the more ink you may use.

Or unless you worded the question wrong I can/can I you can change to a higher res using the setting within the Scanners setting.

More help would be on offer if we know what make/model Scanner/Printer and Windows. Oh and the software you have for Scanner

NormanD 23:57 20 Oct 04

Hello algrey
I would suggest that if you are scanning 35mm transparencies you use the maximum dpi that your scanner can manage. 300dpi is the printer resolution generally accepted as 'magazine quality' so if you scan at 300dpi then print at 300dpi your prints will be the same size as your original transparency for 35mm film this will be roughly 1.5" x 1.0". If however your scanner can scan at 2400dpi then when you print at 300dpi your pictures will be approx 11" x 7"

algrey 08:37 21 Oct 04

Thanks for both responses. I am using a Canon 5200F with ArcSoft PhotoStudio and will increase the resolution as advised.

stlucia 08:44 21 Oct 04

I scan at 1200 d.p.i. which, in my opinion, is more than enough for viewing the slides on a television. The resolution you use depends on what you want to do with the scanned images, as stated by others above, and how much storage space you have available to you.

birdy11 16:40 21 Oct 04

Thank you to NormanD and stlucia for their information as I can do somethings I could not before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…