Scanning times

Severn Bore 21:24 24 Feb 04

I have just bought a Canon Canoscan 8000f linked via USB2 to a Win 98SE equipped PC with plenty of RAM. However, the scanner takes about 5 minutes per slide when I am scanning transparencies at 1200dpi (allowing for a 4X multiplication of the original transparency size).
Has anyone else experience of this please? As a 62 year old, I do not think I have enough time left in this life to scan all of my slides at this rate!

phil 21:34 24 Feb 04

Try scanning at a lower rate.

1200 WILL be very slow so try it at a variety of rates, 200, 300, etc.

Also don't quadrupal the scanning size. Do that in your image software.

temp003 04:39 25 Feb 04

Don't be so hard on yourself. You might outlive most of us :o))

I'm afraid there's not much you can do about it, unless you're prepared to use a smaller scanning resolution or colour bit-depth.

[Adding a PCI usb2 card may help a little, but only a little as most of the time is not used by transferring the file from scanner to pc, but by the scanning process, which is limited by the speed of the scanner.]

If your slides are 35mm ones, roughly 1.4 x 0.9 inches, at 1200 dpi will give you 1680 x 1080 pixels or 1,814,400 pixels for the picture file. Not that huge when compared to picture files created by today's digital cameras, but we're talking about a scanner.

If you use 48-bit colour, this will give you a file before compression of about 10MB. The final size in jpeg format will of course be smaller depending on the quality you use, but that is the size of file the scanner needs to create from scratch for each slide.

You may have to compromise by using a smaller resolution or lower bit-depth, and be a little more discriminate and reserve the big resolution for the pictures you think you are really going to have prints of. If you are only going to view most of the pictures on a computer, you can make do with smaller resolutions/bit-depth.

Otherwise, you'll have to shell out for a dedicated film scanner which has faster scanning speeds, or just make sure you outlive the scanning process and longer to enjoy the results! Time to start on exercise and a healthy diet then.

Severn Bore 18:21 25 Feb 04

Hi Phil and temp003,
Thanks for comments. I was afraid that was the case! Here's to reaching "the ton"!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…