Scanning Text.

Daibus 10:14 30 Aug 03

I have just purchased and installed the Canon Lide 30 scanner and the results seem very good.
The pictures from the scan seem great but when I scan text, it is displayed very indistinctly, almost unreadable, but when I transfer the scan to a folder and then open it the text is a lot more distinct.

As this is my first scanner I was wondering if my settings are wrong and is it normal for the text quality to be very poor in the preview window and also while the document is being scanned ?

Many thanks.

Nosmas 10:27 30 Aug 03

This is a repeat of your earlier post this morning. It is not a good idea to re-post, but if you haven't had any response and want to bring your thread to the top of the queue for others to see, just post a reply yourself with something like 'Refresh' or 'bump' in the message area.

Sorry I can't help with your problem, but just trying to be helpful and hope you soon get a response.

Daibus 10:37 30 Aug 03

Nosmas

Cheers....will heed your advice in future.

jazzypop 10:48 30 Aug 03

There are several ways of scanning text.

One method is to scan it as a picture - if you do this with inappropriate settings, you can get the results you describe.

Try setting the scanner to 300dpi and greyscale, see if that improves things.

The other method is to use OCR - Optical Character Recognition - which attempts to 'read' the text, and translate it into editable type, as if you had typed it into a word-processing document.

If you have an OCR option in the software supplied with your scanner, try that option.

Joy 11:33 30 Aug 03

Finereader 5.0 from Sefif is great.

Joy 11:34 30 Aug 03

Sorry that should be from Serif - all fingers and thumbs today - ex-typing tutor too!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…