Scanning Slides / Negatives... bigger than 35mm

paranomia 08:12 03 Dec 04

Hi All - I am clearing out my parents loft (eBay here I come :) ) My dad and his dad were almost fanatical photographers and almost 100 years of family history are tied up in old negatives and slides.
Here is the problem - many of the negatives are 120, 126, quarter plate and half plate. I can't find any transmissive scanner quoting anything larger than 35mm. We lost dad over a year ago, I would love to transfer the pictures I have found on to DVD so my mum can have them.

Anyone seen anything which would do the job?

kjrider 08:19 03 Dec 04

I have got the same task.

Be interested to know.

Keith.

ventanas 08:29 03 Dec 04

They are available click here but are also very expensive.

You could try a scanning service click here or click here are two examples.

Bren.ie 09:08 03 Dec 04

You could try photographing the slides with a digital camera with a good macro facility. I have used this technique successfully using a Nikon 5400 which can focus down to about 2cm. The inage can be reversed (negative to positive) automatically so you can retake the photo if you are not satisfied with the result.

€dstowe 09:19 03 Dec 04

Similar to Bren.ie, we have used a light box.

The light box can be a lamp with a diffuser OR a laptop computer screen showing a blank sheet of paper in a word processor program to form a white background. If you use this latter method, move the slide/negative slightly away from the screen and use a wide aperture on the camera. This is to force the screen to be out of focus to hide any imperfections/marks/pixels. You can then concentrate of the sharp focus of the picture.

Spanglish 09:25 03 Dec 04

Though my scanner ( Canon ) has an adaptor for 35mm and (I am not %100 sure)a larger size, I will check when I get home this PM and let you know. But if you have the time, check with canon.

ventanas 09:26 03 Dec 04

Why didn't I think of that. I've done it myself in the past, using a slide copier.

vibrant 10:10 03 Dec 04

I have the above scanner which scans 5x4 inch negatives It has it's on light in the lid. But I don't know if they are still made, I've had it for over 3 years. A light box will do if you can spread the light evenly over the negative.

paranomia 11:03 03 Dec 04

Thanks guys - I knew you wouldn't let me down!! :) I have to go to work right now but I will be trying a couple of the suggestions this weekend - will green tick when I get a solutions.
Cheers!

pj123 12:00 03 Dec 04

You could also try here click here

I have used them often for large negs/transparencies. Really good service. They don't put them on to DVD yet but only on CD.

paranomia 15:17 21 Jan 05

The final solution was to use the lightbox - I tried using the laptop screen but suffered from moire patterns. The ideal light source turned out to be a mini fluorescent under a new white polyurethane kitchen cutting board as a diffuser.
Am now saving up for a proper scanner £2000+ OUCH!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…