Scanning sepia photos

Teasle 16:15 21 Mar 03

I have tried to scan some 1900s sepia photos in to my computer. Although the quality of these originals isn't perfect,the quality shown once scanned is very bad. I do not know anything about imaging so just pressed the scan button. Can anybody tell me if I can do anything to get a better quality of photo or recommend something to read so I can try to work out for myself what buttons I should be pressing. I have looked at the help contents that came with the software supplied with the scanner and they are not much help. My scanner is a Cannon LIDE supplied with Arcsoft Photostudio5.

bigray 16:18 21 Mar 03

scan in colour at 300dpi, they should be Ok, hope this helps

Teasle 16:45 21 Mar 03

Thanks bigray but this is what I have been doing by default. I think I may have cracked it any way as I have been playing about in the mean time and found if I did scratch removal the photos came out alot better.

Tenner 17:21 21 Mar 03

Try Links ( above ) > Support > 'Scanning - a source of help click here

Explore this site - you might find what you need.

Hope it helps

Regards

Teasle 11:06 22 Mar 03

Thank you Tenner. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Very useful.

Tenner 23:10 22 Mar 03

Yesterday's DigitalPhoto mag for April @ £4.95 ( a tad expensive, but could be worth every penny for some ) has a Cd on front with 2 hours of Video clips -Tuition on PhotoShop,with commentaries. The first is on scanning - some basics, which might just save you several hours of trial and error ! - wish I'd had it 3 years ago.

Obviously cannot guarantee you'll find it useful, but it's worth a look - even a peek in the shop, cos there are descriptions in the mag of projects for you to try with sample photos.

Hope it helps.

Regards

woodchip 23:27 22 Mar 03

If you use too higher resolution with old photos they will show every scratch and mark that you thought did not exist. you are better sticking with a max of 200dpi

Teasle 08:31 24 Mar 03

Thank you Tenner I will have a peak at the magazine and thanks Woodchip for the advice. Lots of good tips for me to try. I will post this thread when I have studied scanning further and let you know how I got on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now