Scanning photos and getting poor quality

y_not 14:34 09 Feb 03

I am trying to scan some 20 year old photos, a mix of glossy & matt finish but I'm finding that the results are very grainy.

I am using an Epson Perfection 1250 with latest drivers (downloaded yesterday).
Scanner is set at 720 dpi giving a file size of 48Mb.

Clearly, I've got a setting wrong but I don't know which one can anyone please advise?

Many thanks

Totally-braindead 14:38 09 Feb 03

Tony, try saving them as different formats ie JPEG, TIFF etc and then see what you think.

BrianW 14:38 09 Feb 03

Have you tried reducing the dpi to 150 - 300. I know it sounds screwy but I have found that I can get better results this way when scanning in old/degraded photos.

Old PC man 14:39 09 Feb 03

Try setting the file type to Jpeg and if they are B&W photos use greyscale. Setting to Black and white is for text only.

Jpeg will give you smaller files. Also try 360 dpi setting.

y_not 14:49 09 Feb 03

Many thanks for the replies - I save them as .jpg

All the photos (so far) are colour.

I will try the options of 300 dpi & saving as tiff's and post back in a few minutes

Many thanks

y_not 15:01 09 Feb 03

Thank you all!

I must be crazy - I thought that by increasing the dpi I should get better quality (fool that I am) resetting to either 240 or 300 dpi gives original quality.

Thank you very much.......the photos are of my older brother who died a few months after the photos were taken so that are important to me.

thank you

Old PC man 15:04 09 Feb 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…