Scanning Photo

ponytail 17:57 PM 16 Jan 12

I have the following printer a Brother DCP-J315W and want to scan a couple of photos but have not used this facility yet so am unsure as to what to do and where the finished item will end up on my someone explain how to scan using this printer.

wiz-king 18:08 PM 16 Jan 12

Open your picture program eg Irfranview or Windows photo viewer and under 'file' you should find 'import from scanner', put the photo in the canner and click on scan. Having scanned it you need to save it in 'my pictures' for future use.

Ian in Northampton 18:14 PM 16 Jan 12

Alternatively: in Windows XP, there's a 'scanners and cameras' section. Your scanner should be listed there. Just right click on it and then click on 'Get picture using Scanner Wizard'. It will give you the opportunity to tell it where you want the file stored and what you want to call it. A slightly more sophisticated version can be found in W7 under Control Panel, Devices and Printers.

Ian in Northampton 18:15 PM 16 Jan 12

Sorry, I should have said: you'll find 'scanners and cameras' in Control Panel in XP.

lotvic 18:16 PM 16 Jan 12

If I scan straight from Printer/Scanner (scan to PC) it opens Windows Explorer to show me where it has put the IMG.jpg is, thus:

C:\Documents and Settings\lotvic\My Documents\My Pictures\MP Navigator\20120116

MP Navigator is the software that came with my Canon Printer/Scanner

Or I can open any other program I have, Word, Paint, etc and choose from the File menu: Insert (or Import depending on programs menu) -> Picture from Scanner or Camera, then I can click on Insert (depending on programs menu) and it scans it and pic appears ready for me to do what I want with it before I save it to wherever I want.

ponytail 18:17 PM 16 Jan 12

Hi Wiz-King,Thanks for the very quicj reply but scanning is all new to me so where do I find Irfranview or Windows photo viewer have now found irfranview but there is no way to get onto file

ponytail 18:24 PM 16 Jan 12

Thanks guys working fine

lotvic 18:32 PM 16 Jan 12

If I use Paint Shop Pro, I have to go through File -> Import -> TWAIN -> Aquire, and then that opens the program 'ScanGear' and gives me loads more options to fine tune the scan.

Network ScanGear is a 32-bit TWAIN-compliant scanner driver that allows computers on a network to use a Canon iR series digital copier as a scanner. It came as part of the Tools section with my Canon Printer/Scanner. You should have something similar for your Brother.

OR: If I open program MP Navigator from MyPrograms menu then I have options for a Custom Scan with 1 click (Save to pc, save as pdf, attach to email, OCR, or Custom (which saves it to the MP Navigator folder as in my first post)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know