Scanning old photo slides

longbelly 08:50 12 Nov 06

I have quite a large number of old 35mm slides that I want to scan and save to a CD or DVD.

I have looked on the net and found firms that will provide this sort of service. Has anyone donw this and can they recommend a firm for value and quality and are there any particular pitfalls I should avoid?

My own scanner will not accept slides. I have toyed with the idea of purchasing a photo scanner but do not wish to go to the one off expense or expend so much time in doing it.

Graham. 09:31 12 Nov 06

Jessops can transfer to CD:

click here

longbelly 11:45 12 Nov 06

I'm not sure that Jessops offer the service I'm looking for - at least not on-line!

Anyone else with experience of this?

rodriguez 11:56 12 Nov 06

A scanner that scans slides just shines a backlight in the slide as it's scanning. So you try getting a torch, covering it with paper, and putting this on top of the slide you want to scan. This should give the slide a backlight that allows it to be scanned ;-)

Diemmess 13:44 12 Nov 06

....... The key words in your post!

If you DIY, the task is going to be a very long one indeed but you have the "fun"

There are probably hundreds of places out there but because of being labour intensive may cost a lot more per print ot file than ordinary prints.

By coincidence I bought a new scanner (Epson V100)last Monday.
It has a facility for either up to 4 slides or 1 filmstrip at a time.
Some excellent software bundled with it.
I bought it for its flatbed convenience/price/quality.

Couldn't avoid playing with some old slides for a while with impressive results.
Far far better than I had guessed. But it is slow. and I think it would take me about 10 minutes to save a loading of 4 slides from start to "image saved as" finish.

Woolwell 14:10 12 Nov 06

I've not sent any slides away but have scanned over a 1,000 with about another 500 to go. It does take time and several need editing because with age the colours are no longer true or are too dark. However I have found it rewarding doing it myself and has brought many memories.

I note that you do not want to go to the expense or spend a lot of time so for you sending them away may be the way ahead.

longbelly 14:32 12 Nov 06

All food for thought - and yes it could be fun doing my own but time-consuming.....

but is there anyone out there who has tried a scanning service with success?

Diemmess 15:56 12 Nov 06

Is there anyone with experience of professional scanning services.
It is a bit obvious really but you might see something in the small ads of photographic (hobby) magazines, or even the hybrid digital camera mags.

Terry Brown 17:01 12 Nov 06

An easier option would be to get hold of a slide projector (EBAY ?), and if you don't have one a simple digital camera.

Set the projector and the camera at 45 degrees to each other and at the same height, approx 18" from a white background. if the camera has a usb connection (as some of the cheepies do instead of a memory card, use that.It may take some experimenting to get it right, but you'll have fun doing it.
When you have finished you can always re-sell the equipment again.
Terry

Totally-braindead 17:11 12 Nov 06

I took some slides to a local Fuji camera shop and they did it for me last year and I was quite pleased with the results but I'm unsure of what they would charge if there were a lot of them but its worth asking.

Smiler 17:29 12 Nov 06

This firm do it
click here I haven't used them but at nearly £40 for 50 slides thats £800 for 1000. Getting expensive.
I have been doing mine for a while now and it is time consuming but very rewarding.
As woolwell says you can bring them back to original colors while you're at it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…