scanning failure

Giant68 01:57 01 May 05

I am helping a blind lady with her PC and she has come across a problem scanning. She has a 900MHz celeron sytem running 98se, plenty of memory and hard drive space. But since she has installed BB her scanner fails to scan the whole page. Sometimes only scanning ½ page sometimes none at all. She is using an HP6300c scanner with Kurtzweil 1000 software. Kurtzweil uses FineReader OCR engine, I believe. Both the scanner and the dsl modem are usb, the latter being speedtouch 330.
Kurtzweil also has a voice to read the scanned documents to her.
So far we have reinstalled everything, even down to formatting the drive and starting again with all new drivers etc. Support for Kurtzweil suggest that maybe by upgrading to the latest version it may solve the problem, but the price for software for the visually handicapped is a bit extreme, especially for something that only may work.
I'm at work at the moment, ½ way thru a 13 hour night shift so I'll check back in tonight.
Thanks in advance

Giant68

wiz-king 07:03 01 May 05

It may be that the USB ports cannot supply enough power if she is using a USB powered modem. Try getting a powered hub for the modem.

Mr Pres 07:25 01 May 05

Some modems don't like hubs. Plug the modem directly into the PC and use a POWERED hub for other peripherals.

User-312386 08:10 01 May 05

when the dsl modem is removed does it scan?

Giant68 18:22 01 May 05

Thanks for the replies.

We have tried the peripherals thru' a hub and thru the PC as I figured at first that it could be a power problem, either way no change.

Having unplugged the modem I thought that the scanner had worked, but my friend e-mailed me later me later to say that while it did work for a while it was now intermittent.

Next plan is to install the software on my laptop, which runs ME, and see what happens when I scan with my scanner.

Giant68

Giant68 19:26 05 May 05

While this problem is not solved, the PC has developed other symptoms and she has decided to buy a new system and start afresh. So thanks for the help even tho' we didn't get to the root of it.

Giant68

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5