scanning and copying

Rufus625 10:24 07 Aug 07

Hello, thanks in advance to anyone who can help, I have two questions:

1. One of my tutors at university had a great little scanning device: he just fed a piece of paper into it, it wizzed it through instantly and the paper was there on his computer screen. Is this kind of 'instant' scanner normal? Does anyone know of one similar?

2. As a teacher I need to photocopy things a lot of the time, is it ever cost-effective to photocopy at home?

Cheers!

kindly 10:41 07 Aug 07

Your second question first.. it can be more cost effective doing your copying at home, but this will depend on your printer costs. If you are printing black and white or text then I would use the lowest setting your printer will allow such as "draft mode", unless you need high quality copies. I tend to save to my computer and only print what I need.
The first question.. I dont know what the other person is using but are you saying that he scans the things he needs when next to the computer with the scanner connected. Mine scans straight into the computer and really only takes the time it takes to scan or preview then scan to show up on the screen. Again, my scanner is three years old and I use Corel Print to do the scanning.
Not much help but a few things to think about.

wee eddie 10:44 07 Aug 07

Different in what they do as the Photocopy on the drum is lost the moment a new document is passed.

A Scan becomes a file. Initially rather like a photo which can be stored and printed again. However any text on it cannot be altered without OCR (Optical Character Recognition) Software which interprets the various different colours on the file and turns them into text that a Word Processor. (Some OCR Software is more successful in this than others). You could then alter the document that you have scanned if you wished.

Photocopiers tend to print pages cheaper than Inkjet & Laser Printers. So, as time is money, knocking out a few copies at home would only be cost effective if using the Photocopier was not easy.

DieSse 13:50 07 Aug 07

Photocopying at home can be very cost effective, if say you have to make a couple of copies and drive somewhere to make them.

It can be very UN-cost effective if your ink is expensive, you copy lots, and you don't have to make special journeys to make the copies.

So the truth for most people lies somewhere in between!

You can get a very nice free photocopying program from click here it saves a lot of messing with scanning and printing - I use it all the time.

holme 16:04 08 Aug 07

The type of scanning device to which you refer in Q1 used to be very popular before conventional 'flatbed' scanners became readily available. See click here - but note that's 1999! No colour and max 300dpi.

The ScanLight came in two forms, a hand-held scanner head - A5 or A4 wide - which you passed by hand over the document you wished to scan. The A4 version was also available with a motorised device which - as you said - allowed a single-sheet document to be fed in one end and the motor drew it through, just like on many fax machines.

No good for books etc, but the scanner head could be detached and passed manually over an open book or whatever.

Diemmess 17:48 08 Aug 07

You have had some excellent advice and if as a teacher you need a quick and convenient method of duplicating a document of any sort then there is little more to add.

Flatbed scanners are very cheap these days.

Good ones can cost well under £100.

They can cope with anything size A4 and under.

Thick books can be a problem.

The file that results can be treated as a picture printed and saved.

Most Big-Name makers bundle useful sofware with the scanner.

The miracle of recognising text (OCR) allows you to produce an editable document with the right software (Often bundled with the scanner).

OCR can be used as you scan or read from the "picture file" you have saved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…