Scanning a B&W pic without it becoming illegible

Chegs ® 13:27 12 Aug 04

I want to scan an article from the paper to enable my family to keep abreast of goings on here(my Mam lives in Spain,and my sister lives in Kent)Each time I try the image becomes very blurred and black patches obscure the detail.

I am guessing its the limitations of the scanner software (HP 2200C scanner) as I cannot get the HP driver to work in XP with NTFS filesystem(I have a fight to get it to work in FAT32,but occasionally it succeeds)I have to use XP's "Scanner & Camera Wizard" As I rarely need to scan anything,its not practical to buy a newer scanner,is there anyway I can improve on this click here with the scanner wizard?

Bren.ie 13:56 12 Aug 04

Does your software give you an option for "Output Type".

If it does choose black and white.

You will then get options to regulate Light / darken, B&w threhold etc. It may be a matter of trial and error to get the best setting.

cga 14:01 12 Aug 04

My scanner (MUSTEK) gives me a greyscale setting I use for things like this.

However, please dont take this as an endorsement of MUSTEK - I have other issues :-(

Baledor 14:02 12 Aug 04

check to see if there is a greyscale option instead of black and white, if there is this could be the problem.

Djohn 14:15 12 Aug 04

Agree with above comments. See if you have a "Grey scale" setting on the scanner software as this will be much better for newspaper or magazine copies when they are in Mono print. If not try adjusting the contrast controls down in the software application your using.

Chegs ® 14:34 12 Aug 04

I have read the above comments and thank you for the tips,but each post refers to the scanner software,I haven't got a workable driver.I have to use the "Scanner & Camera Wizard" in XP,so I will retry scanning newsprint with it and see if I can improve it.

Baledor 14:35 12 Aug 04

Have you dried HP's website to get a driver, if that fails try click here

Chegs ® 14:50 12 Aug 04

click here

click here

These two pics show just how limited the options are in Scanner & Camera Wizard,although I just noticed it HAS a "Greyscale" option so will retry with this option selected.

Baledor,Yes I have tried HP site,I d/l an 8Mb file,but "WIA" in XP refuses to allow its use.I switched WIA off in Services and the scanner software then couldn't find the scanner.I fought this battle against XP for weeks,tried numerous other drivers,etc but XP's "Windows Image Aquisition"(to give it its full title) won!

Bart of Darkness 14:53 12 Aug 04

Not sure if you've got a "de-screen" option available to you but this would be very handy when scanning images from newspapers (which are made up of umpteen tiny dots). Otherwise strange patterns may occur on the scan.

rowdy 15:46 12 Aug 04

I have a friend who went through a similar experience and finally just took a picture with his digital camera, cropped out the bit he wanted, enlarged it to the best size/resolution he could get and it was good enough for an email.

rowdy

Chegs ® 17:22 12 Aug 04

I have been looking for the article so I can try scanning it again,only it appears my partner has taken it with her to Spain,she is there until sunday nite so I wont be able to do anything until then.

Rowdy,

I have a website which I upload these pictures to,then simply email the address to my sister,mother,etc.I have already constructed a "proper" webpage,but cannot be bothered to add individual items onto it yet,most often I upload to the webspace for assisting folk to be able to see exactly what I'm talking about.My homepage click here

Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…