Scanning

ponytail 11:37 27 Mar 11

When I scan to my desktop I send the scan to my documents.My wife now has a laptop which is wireless and uses the same router that my desktop is connected to.Is it possible to scan directly to my documents on her laptop and if so how is it done.How does the printer know which PC to scan to.

mgmcc 12:56 27 Mar 11

If the scanner software allows you to select the path in which to save the file, and if your wife's "My Documents" folder is set as "shared" over the network, then you should be able to send the resulting image file directly to her.

This is probably a bit messy as you'd have to change the settings in the software each time depending on whether you wanted the file saved in your computer or in wife's Laptop. It would probably be better (and less prone to problems) if you always scanned to your own computer and, when necessary, transferred the resulting file over the network to her Laptop.

ponytail 18:00 27 Mar 11

Hi mgmcc what would be the best way to transfer the file to my wifes laptop and to her my documents

mgmcc 22:45 27 Mar 11

If both computers are connected to the router for their internet access, then they are already "networked".

Your wife's My Documents folder needs to be "shared". Assuming she's using Windows XP, double click My Computer which will display two folders - Shared Documents and the Username's Documents (which is her My Documents). Right click the Username's Documents and select the "Sharing & Security" option where you can set it as shared over the network and allocate the share name.

Then if, in your computer, you go into "My Network Places" (or "Network" in Vista and Windows 7), you should see her computer. Expanding the folder tree should display the shared folder. You can then use that folder as though it is a folder in your own computer - "drag & drop", "copy & paste", edit and delete files etc.

Depending on any firewall software you're using, particularly in the remote Laptop you're trying to access, this may have to be configured to allow you to access it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017