Scanning 120 size negs - buying advice?

polymath 17:45 25 Apr 08

I need a new scanner. I'd like a multifunction scanner/printer/copier, but being able to scan slides/negatives is also important; the old 120 ones as well as 35mm.
Does anyone know of any multifunctions that will do that?

Or, alternatively, of any dedicated film scanners that do various sizes; to a good amateur quality but not at professional prices? I'd be willing to buy one as well as a multifunction device if necessary (for instance, the Brother multifunction range doesn't do film scanning, but looks otherwise ideal for me)

For our old 35mm slides, room to place a group of them on the scanner would be a bonus (it would be handy to be able to print out groups of actual size slides for viewing).

Weskit 18:32 25 Apr 08

Just had a look at the spec for my Epson Perfection V200 Photo scanner but it seems only to do a strip of up to 6 35 mm negs or 4 transparencies. Irfanview enables you to print a page of thumbnails. This is what I am doing, anyway.

Stuartli 19:35 25 Apr 08

You are more likely to find a flatbed scanner able to take 120 size negatives (are they two-and-a-quarter inch sq or two-and-a-quarter by three-and-a-quarter inches)?

There are a number of flatbed scanners able to be used to scan 35mm negatives, but the larger negative size might prove more daunting.

jack 19:48 25 Apr 08

and I guess other more recent examples in the range
Have the central light box that covers the 4 slide holder or 35mm film strip
The lamp cover measures 10.5 x 2.5 inches
More than adequate for 120 film 2.5x3.5 0r 2.5x2.5.
A simple card holder with the edges tipped in with tape should do it.

Jak_1 20:27 25 Apr 08

Take a looky here :

click here

Diemmess 20:42 25 Apr 08

My Epson Perfection V100 will scan 35mm slides and negatives very well indeed.

While there is no similar "Grid" to hold larger film sizes, it should be possible to scan a selected part of a roll of 120 film.

Just how wide is the path scanned I don't know! Hopefully controlable as it is when scanning only a part of say an A4 document, - unless the light in the lid doesn't cover a wide enough path?

polymath 21:04 25 Apr 08

Thank you all for your help.

I've just been looking at multifunction machines, and think I'd be unlikely to find one that'll scan everything I want, on top of the other virtues I'm looking for. So I'm just going for a scanner (and touch wood that my nice, 8-year-old HP Deskjet printer soldiers on!

Good point about Irfanview - I use it myself, and like its thumbnail facilities (and easy learning curve!)

My ailing scanner (the lamp's finally failed) is an 8-year-old Epson Perfection (with the optional film attachment), and I was still pleased with its scan quality. So the verdict seems to be unanimous!

I'll investigate that range tomorrow (and any other suggestions of course).

Thanks again.

polymath 21:35 10 May 08

It's sorted, thanks to all your suggestions, and I've bought an Epson V500 Photo scanner. It wasn't the cheapest, but I think I'll be glad I did (I hate false economies anyway!)
It's arrived, though I haven't installed it yet (got into another pair of brackets, trying to get a net connection on my new computer, and I don't think the old one could handle the new scanner).

The frames for putting film in take 2 35mm strips at once or 4 35mm slides at once, and there's a space for film up to about 120*55mm. It's also an A4 scanner with a removable lid, which I wanted.

I had to ask Epson about that, by the way; the specifications on their site don't mention it, so I asked them (also, the specs don't always seem to mention every film size they take).
I can't remember the resolution, but it's pretty high.

If my next printer's a multifuncion, disregarding film scanning will mean more choice.
Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…