Scanners don't work

ward1941uk 15:31 PM 14 Aug 13

I have 2 scanners, a Canoscan 8800F and a HP all in one printer copier scanner. Neither scanner is recognised by my PC although I can see them both in the Device Manager under Imaging devices. And Device Manager says that both scanners are working properly.

When I try to use the Canoscan I can see it listed in the software program but when I click Scan I get an error report. Scanner not connected or not turned on. If I try and scan to computer using the HP printer I get the error report' Connection lost'.

I also have a webcam listed under Imaging devices and this is working OK.

Any suggestions?

Graphicool1 15:37 PM 14 Aug 13

If this is a recent occurance do a System restore to before it happened.

john bunyan 15:53 PM 14 Aug 13

I have a Canonscan 8800F and a MP650 in W7. I use Photoshop to scan. Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Canon etc?

ward1941uk 17:18 PM 14 Aug 13

I only had 1 system restore point and it would appear that the error occurred before that. I have not used my scanners for several months until yesterday evening when I discovered the problem. Obviously they both worked fine initially but something has corrupted the OS I think.

In reply to John, I normally use Photoshop and yes I have downloaded the latest drivers from both HP and Canon. I have Uninstalled the drivers and then rebooted my system several times before reinstalling without success.

ward1941uk 17:36 PM 14 Aug 13

Would it be possible to repair the OS using my recovery discs without loosing all my programs and data?

john bunyan 17:39 PM 14 Aug 13

It may be worth uninstalling , say, the Canon. Then re -install using the drivers you have. I seem to remember it liked to have the drivers pre - installed rather than using their disc and certainly not the MS auto install.. I use the TWAIN interface for scanning and with Photoshop CS5 32 bit it works but the 64 bit only works with WPA . I like TWAIN as there is better scanning control. A great scanner , the 8800f as it handles 35 mm slides and negs as well as normal A4, so I hope you get it going. I do remember some problems when I switched to W7 but cannot recall all the details.

john bunyan 17:43 PM 14 Aug 13

PS if you suspect corrupt OS files run the command prompt as an administrator and type in sfc/scannow - it will take a while but should correct minor errors. (Start, All Programmes, Accessories, Command prompt - right click and highlight "run as administrator")

Graphicool1 17:52 PM 14 Aug 13

Attention ward1941uk

Iyou decide to try john Bunyan's last suggestion be aware that there should be a space between the 'sfc' and the '/'.

sfc /scannow

woodchip 22:17 PM 14 Aug 13

Latest Twain Drivers need to be loaded for your scanner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know