Scanners

diljitsinghji 14:09 14 Feb 05

Any advice on purchasing a new scanner to be used via Laptop, Windows XP home edition, USB port, able to scan negatives. Mainly used as a portable item. thanks

Ivor_Monkey 14:55 14 Feb 05

I'd recommend visioneer. I don't know about scanning negatives. Try to get paperport as software packaged.

Totally-braindead 15:00 14 Feb 05

I'm afraid I can't recommend a particular scanner mines an old cheap Agfa one and it doesn't scan negatives, have a look at the PCA charts and see what they recommend. Thing I wanted to mention is I don't know if there is such a thing as a truly portable scanner but worth mentioning I think is that all scanners I have seen come with a lock to lock the scanning head in place when you move it to prevent damage, if you propose to move it about a lot its worth bearing in mind, if you forget to lock it before you move it your scanner may not last long.

pj123 15:09 14 Feb 05

Also, of course, most scanners that can scan negs/slides a pretty bulky. About twice the size of a laptop. Also they will probably all work from mains power because of the consumption to do that work. Even if you could find one that worked off USB only would your laptop battery be able to supply enough power to support it? Good luck in your search. Have a look here and see if there is on available: click here

Icky 15:14 14 Feb 05

I've just bought one of these click here and I'm really pleased with it.
It's the smallest A4 scanner I could find and it can take a slide adapter.

Diemmess 16:32 14 Feb 05

It depends how serious you are to scan negatives or transparancies.

If you are serious, then my keen photographer friends (not me) would say that a dedicated negative scanner is essential because of its much much higher resolution.

The best of flatbed with (optional negative scanners) are good but not all that specail and will be unwieldy.

diljitsinghji 18:07 14 Feb 05

Many thanks to all who responded. I am now thinking of buying canoscan4200F Flatbed scanner. Anyone got any views on this product and is model 5200F very different?
Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…