scanners

smurffette 17:29 03 Oct 03

I need to buy a good scanner which will allow me to make quality enlargements from small photos. Any suggestions? HP/Epson/Canon?

smurfette

pj123 17:37 03 Oct 03

What do you mean by "quality enlargements" I have two scanners on two PCs. A Canon Lide 20 and a Mustek 1200 both of which do exactly what I want. Almost any "amateur" scanner will provide good enlargements. I have printed a scanned 6 x 4 photo and printed it up to A4 size on an Epson 915 printer and also a C70 printer. Not exibition quality but good enough for me.

Proxy worm 17:54 03 Oct 03

get cannon as there are good quality and cheap for amatuer enlargement and you can get very high quialuty ones from epson which are bril..
depnds wat you want amateur or pro?

Diemmess 18:05 03 Oct 03

Depends on whether you scan actual prints or go the basic root and use a film scanner on the original negatives. This route is for the keen and dedicated photographer as the only way to enhance the very best the original camera could do........ The downside is the cost of a high definition film scanner and its unsuitability for scanning anything bar film strips.

Ordinary mortals settle for one of a long list of makes and models which literally scan a print, document or solid object. This is probably what you want and then it is a matter of deciding which model (which is where you came in!)

smurffette 18:19 03 Oct 03

I have bog-standard visioneer scanner which doesnt allow me to make good enlargements of scanned 6" by 4"'s, the images becomes "blocky"
I am considering a Canon LiDE 50 is this a good choice?

smurffette

pj123 10:48 04 Oct 03

Yes, the Canon Lide 50 is certainly a good choice. Just on point though, it's not the scanner that makes the images blocky it's the printer.

DANZIG 11:03 04 Oct 03

I bought a CanoScan Lide20 from PC World for about £60. It works excellently for my purposes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now