Scanners

hound dog 20:28 30 Aug 03

I am about to buy my first Scanner and whilst I have read the recommendations PC Advisor, can anyone out there advise me of the best first time user machine, from their own experience

Pesala 20:36 30 Aug 03

What do you need a scanner for?

Family snapshots? Professional advertising? Slides and negatives? A3 originals? Are you thinking of using OCR.

I am happy with the Epson Perfection 1250 (now 1260 model). About £90, but no slide adapter.

rupie 23:02 30 Aug 03

You will find that if the average scanner is fine. I am not going to go into a big techno essay( asw I am drunk and cannot remember the details) but if you are not going to use it for other than personal use then you will only run into problems if you buy very cheap units. I can bet that any images scanned will not bu printed larger than the original image !! If you generate large scans then e mailing them will be a problem and large prints need an espensive printer. The only important tip I will give is that people read techno spec and forget the optical and photographic qualities of such devices. THESE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE TECH. SPEC as anyone can make hardware. Try to use companies that have a history in images and pictures eg Canon.

whybe 00:19 31 Aug 03

I found as a beginner I had more problem understanding how to use the associated software package. In fact still get confused with what it is asking me, having said that I tend to use it more as a glorified photcopier. Perhaps the people out there can suggest a straight foreward software as well. Mine's Paperport but don't let that put you off.

zanne 02:28 31 Aug 03

My scanner is a 3000f (canon) haven't used it much as I have no printer set up yet.
Still wondering if I should have had the lide 30! All the reviews I read seems to point to canon, be it scanners or printers. Same as whybe, I have such a choice of software on my computer can anyone tell me which is the easiest to use?

Filch 15:54 31 Aug 03

One of the Canon LiDE scanners would be your best bet. If you want to scan fotos, the 30 or 40, other wise go by the price you can afford. They are easy to use, and the quality is top notch.

david4637 16:09 31 Aug 03

PCW currently offering Canon 3000F for £70 inc VAT - 1200x1200,48 bit, built in transparency adapter. Would this compare with the LiDE? Thanks David

prilect 17:23 31 Aug 03

Hi Houndog, Unless you are are prepared to spend above £300, a £50 scanner will be just as good.
Prilect.

fitshase 17:28 31 Aug 03

I am using the Canon Lide 20 (about £40) and it does everything I need. Just scanned a photo at 1200dpi (in order to enlarge) and it came out excellent.

Documents, etc., are top notch. It doesn't have a transparency adaptor but you are getting a good scanner at a bargain price.

The scanner is a USB scanner which draws its power from the USB lead so no additional power supply is needed (ideal if you have loads of electrical items and not enough sockets!). It's also ideal for taking out on the road with a laptop for scanning on the move.

Regards

Fitshase

Filch 19:27 31 Aug 03

If you are planning on scanning film, get a film scanner. Flat beds don't do film very well. For all other scanning a LiDE will do as good as any and better than most. For what it's worth, Consumer Reports (USA) rated the LiDE 30 the best all round scanner (flat bed) they have tested, and the 20 was just behind it.

david4637 15:23 01 Sep 03

Where can you get a Canon LiDE 30 from at a reasonable price? Thanks David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…