Scanner and XP SP2

SURVEY 14:17 14 Dec 04

I am running XP Service Pack 2 an recently bought a cheap USB Hewlett Packard scanner for use maybe only a couple of times a year. Purchased from PC World and assured that it would work with SP2. The scanner will scan once but any subsequent request to scan results in an error message stating that the scanner is not connected! Having spoken to HP help (actually Mustek) I a told that the scanner will not work with SP2 because Microsoft will not release information to them to enable them to provide a software update. Having spoken to PC World I understand that they will refund me.

However I do need scanner so can anybody recommend a cheap scanner that they know WILL work with SP2. Preferably also one that PC World sells so that I can do a simple swap (with any cash adjustment).

Cook2 14:22 14 Dec 04

Have a look here click here

jack 14:28 14 Dec 04

Any 'current model' scanner that will run on XP
That is the sticking point.
Because scasnners have their own hardware internally
the controls the CCD /Scan and track motors etc
the software that does this is on a ROM chip and cannot be 'upgraded'
Old model scanners intended for 95/98/me therefore tend not to run or if they do spasmodically as you found out
Especially as it happens to be Mustek,these sell under all sorts of third party labels.

Epson/Canon tend to be OK

SURVEY 14:32 14 Dec 04

Jack. actually the old scanner was a Packard Bell. I am thinking of an epson 4280 Perfection and intend to phone Epson support for confirmation. In the meantime if anyone has any thoughts or advice I would be grateful.

SURVEY 11:36 16 Dec 04

Thanks for all commnets. I purchased an Epson 2480 scanner. Installation was easy and it IS SP2 compatible. Works well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5