Scanner that works in SP2 Environment?

Alf58 15:50 15 Apr 05

Can anyone recommend a cheap and cheerful scanner that will work with Win XP Service Pack 2?

I bought a Packard Bell Diamond 1200 Plus which would not work (software would not install etc) and I was told by their phone advice line "Its all Microsofts fault they've changed all the security settings when they did SP2, you'll have to contact them."

I found this unbelievable. I guess most Xp users will have SP2 by now and Packard Bell's attitude is staggeringly unhelpful. Anyone out there thinking of buying a Packard Bell Diamond 1200 Plus......dont touch it with a barge pole.

Anyway, I'm off to PC World to get my money back but would like a nice cheap scanner that wont give me hassle and will work in Win Xp SP 2. Any ideas?

Technotiger 15:53 15 Apr 05

Hi, I recommend Epson - I use Epson Perfection 1650Photo - it scans negatives/slides as well,
with XP.

Cheers.

Alf58 15:57 15 Apr 05

Thanks for your reply. I only want to do occasional OCR work and sometimes scan family photos. How much did you pay for your Epson And are you using Service pack 2?

Jackcoms 15:58 15 Apr 05

I have a VERY cheap and cheerful Medion bought from Staples for £35 about 15 months ago. Works OK with SP2.

It scans, photocopies and came with OCR software (Textbridge).

Technotiger 16:02 15 Apr 05

Hi, yes I have SP2, never had any problems with it. I paid £199 (yes £199) for it some time ago - it is now available at about £65 I think. If this is too much then I would go with Jackcoms.

Cheers.

georgemac © 16:44 15 Apr 05

canonscan 3200f - works with sp2 no problems click here should be OK also

Alf58 17:54 15 Apr 05

Thanks for all replies. I got a Canon Lide 35 at Fifty nine quid. It is superb: software installed perfectly and it does excatly what it says on the box. Thats all I want. Pity Packard Bell are incapable of providing a similar product. I guess you get what you pay for.

Technotiger 17:59 15 Apr 05

Great - all's well that ends well, as they say.

Pardon me if I remind you - little Green Tick :-))

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac