Scanner transparency adapter

Is there any way I can use my flatbed scanner to scan 35mm negs? I have been to the website for my scanner but no joy. I would also need the software.
Gov.

pj123 17:12 19 Apr 03

There is a site which supposedly gives you a template to make a scanner adaptor. I have tried it but it is absolutely useless. if you want to have a try go to click here

pj123 17:15 19 Apr 03

Sorry, seems like this site realises thier system doesn't work and they have taken it off.

try click here

Bebee 19:04 19 Apr 03

I found a template on a site which might be the one above, but I'm not sure now. Basically a triangular box you put over the slide. I actually got a reasonable result, but had to experiment with different reflective linings. The duller side of aluminium foil worked quite well. Needed to experiment with scanner settings too. The reults were useable for smaller prints but hardly professional quality - certainly not up to proper prints from slides which can be better than negs.

I can't find the site now, but a search of the posts might produce something, because I'm sure I got the link from here somewhere. I'll try to have a look later.

siouxah1 20:25 19 Apr 03

Have tried the adaptor route with the Acer I have.

I would say that while the results are useable with an adaptor, if you are even semi serious puchase a dedicated film scanner.

Microtek / Jessops Photographic retail one for about £120. Deals with transparencies and negative film. But I found that negative scanning required a litle colour correction work on some negative. 35mm only.

If you are really serious the sky is the limit with offerings from the likes of Minolta and Canon.

Regards Brian j

laneyxx 20:49 19 Apr 03

Or, Buy a cheap scanner (£30), open the case and remove the bulb, sandwich the film betweenscanner bed and a sheet of glass. Experiment with different types of overhead light sources, I found an ordinary desk lamp quite good if you adjust the colour settings.

-pops- 06:48 20 Apr 03

If you have more than a few trannies to scan, siouxah1's suggestion is by far the best. The home made adapters aren't much good and the commercial ones for a flatbed aren't a lot better for anything discerning.

The problem using any adapted flatbed scanner is the definition. Flatbed scanners may well be able to produce excellent scans from, say, 297 x 210 (A4) but it's expecting a bit much for the same quality results on a size of 24 x 36 (the size of a 35mm transparency). Looking at it slightly differently, a 35mm transparency is less than 1·4% of the size of A4 so expect less than 1·4% of the quality in results.

Brian

Thank you all. It looks like its going to cost more than I'd bargained for.
The local photo shop has a professional lab which will do any job I want (for a fee) so perhaps that would be the solution for a few negs. I would probably buy a film scanner, use it a few times then it would sit in the cupboard, and the wife wants a new dress ...
Thanks again
Gov

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…