Scanner quality has suddenly dropped

First Bass 18:09 30 Oct 07

Hi there PC Advisor forum. I have never heard of a scanner lamp failing before, but my Visioneer One Touch 5600 USB scanner quality has suddenly deteriorated. My black/white copies need adjusting several times before a reasonable scanned copy is achieved, and all my colour copies are very poor, with a rust coloured red/brown tinge on everything scanned. The lamp looks slightly rust coloured at one end. Has it's power faded? I use Paperport Deluxe 7, but have the same poor results using other software like MGI, so I supect a hardware deterioration or failure. Has anyone any ideas about repairs before I convert this scanner into a doorstop?! Thanks..

€dstowe 18:38 30 Oct 07

Scanner lamps do fail although they seem to last longer now than they did a few years ago.

If it is the lamp (and it does seem likely from your description of the state of it) it will most likely be almost as cheap to buy a new scanner. In addition, it can be a devil of a job to remove the old lamp and replace it in some machines.

Technotiger 18:41 30 Oct 07

click here

Looks as if a new scanner may be in order, unless yours is still under warranty.

First Bass 18:56 30 Oct 07

Thanks guys. I feared the worst. The scanner is about 6 years old and so well out of warranty. I don't think that's much of a lifespan though! Take care.

Technotiger 19:03 30 Oct 07

Never mind, Christmas is just around the corner - treat yourself!

Cheers.

€dstowe 21:55 30 Oct 07

Scanners are a lot cheaper now than they were even six years ago. Have a look at modern ones, you might be pleasantly surprised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…