Scanner Problem

Bingalau 14:15 08 Nov 04

I have an "HP Scanjet 3570c" which has worked perfectly since new about eighteen months ago. However now, out of the blue, it has decided to start playing up, by refusing to open properly. It prompts me to ensure that all connections are fitted correctly, which I have done, but to no avail. I have tried to repair it with the appropriate disc etc. but it just keeps coming back with the same old answer which amounts to "Ensure your cables are fitted securely" which they are. Should I delete the program altogether from the computer and then re-instal from scratch? I am a bit wary of doing this as I had to get an expert in when I first had it installed.
Another thought is that I have recently had a Kodak program added to the computer. Could this be clashing in some way?...
Computer is a Compaq Presario (5800 I think) running Windows 98SE. I have looked through the "Properties" and looked for updated drivers but there are none better apparently. The Device properties window tells me that the device is working properly. So I am stuck..Help!! anybody?? Bingalau..

rawprawn 16:28 08 Nov 04

Is it USB, and if so is it connected via a hub or directly into the PC. My HP 3400C wont run through a hub. It's just a thought. I don't think it will be a problem with Kodak, as I run Kodak Easy Share with no problems.

rawprawn 16:33 08 Nov 04

Another thought, can you borrow a cable from somewhere just to check that it hasn't got damaged. I wouldn't worry too much about having to uninstall and reinstall, it is very easy just follow the instructions.

Bingalau 16:59 08 Nov 04

Thanks for the suggestions rawprawn. It is USB and it is directly into the PC. Your other suggestion about borrowing a cable sounds good to me, I will see if any of my friends have got one to lend. Sorry for delay in answering your advice. I had gone up to the gym to get my weary bones moving and some blood coursing through my veins. Maybe that will have refreshed my brain enough to think a bit better. I should be so lucky! Once again "Thanks"

Stuartli 17:44 08 Nov 04

A scanner should normally be connected to a dedicated USB port - other items can always be run from a powered hub.

Bingalau 21:29 10 Nov 04

Still no joy in spite of a borrowed cable and following instructions from HP. Am now getting desperate!! Any new ideas anybody? Please..

Bingalau 21:32 10 Nov 04

Forgot to say that the instructions from HP included un-installing and re-installing. I have now tried that about five times and still got no joy.

rawprawn 09:50 11 Nov 04

The only other thing I can suggest is try another scanner on your machine, if that works throw your old one away. They are pretty cheap now.Sorry we couldn't solve your problem.

Bingalau 10:13 11 Nov 04

Rawprawn!
Thanks for trying anyway...I must admit I had already thought along the same lines as your latest suggestion. I will now tick this subject as resolved even though I am still trying out various suggestions from other sources. Hewlett Packard being one of them of course, but they are awfully long winded. Thanks again for trying. !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…