Scanner with onscreen controls???

Border View 14:04 10 Dec 08

Back in 2000 when I got my first computer I bought a Bearpaw 1200 scanner. Nice scanner for the time. Its control buttons, as the name suggests, were in the shape of a bears paw. However, it also had the facility to have the controls on screen and it was just a click of the mouse.

I am looking for a new scanner and have been looking closely at the Canon and Epson range. But no mention is made of on screen controls.

Does anyone have a scanner with this facility and would you recommend it.

Rahere 14:20 10 Dec 08

I thnk most scanners in the canon range have Canon software that works like that - I assume Epson and others have something similar.

Otherwise you can access the scanner using photoshop or equivalents via the twain software usually included

Stuartli 14:29 10 Dec 08

Mustek still makes Bear Paw scanners, but whether they include on-screen displays is not clear.

See, for instance:

click here

The price compare websites list Mustek scanners.

Not quite the same thing but....

click here

Some Kodak models:

click here

Stuartli 14:30 10 Dec 08

I control my Agfa 1212u via an on-screen menu, but it's rare these days that I use it.

Border View 15:56 10 Dec 08

Many thanks for the response. I would still be using my Bearpaw except it just would not work with XP without different drivers which I had severe problems trying to download.

Shall have to visit an outlet and put questions to sales persons about Canon before I make my mind up.

Again thank you for the information.

Rahere 18:26 10 Dec 08

if the drivers aren't that old have you tried windows xp compatibility mode - might make it all ok for you....fingers crossed

Snec 20:27 10 Dec 08

Canon scanners do have on-screen controls.

nutty norm 17:28 18 Dec 08

I have a Epson Scanner Model No 3490And it does have all the C

fazer 17:41 18 Dec 08

I have a Canon MP810 scanner/printer/copier which has on-screen scanner software and also lets you pre-edit whatever is being scanned (colour, noise reduction, sharpening etc.) The unit also came with photo-negative brackets which work very well and which I find very useful.

The only critiscm I have is that setting up the colour profiles was a nightmare and the manual was next to useless (assuming you will be scanning photographs).

nutty norm 17:50 18 Dec 08

I have a scanner a Epson 3490 Photo scanne r the Negative tray is a bit fiddly but i am satified it does a great job, there are some controls on the scanner but most are on the desktop and it automatically scan with the touch of a button, Nutty norm

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac