scanner for negatives and slides

maccles 13:33 06 Aug 03

i would like to buy a new USB2 scanner for less than about £130. It needs to be able to do good scans of 35mm film negatives and slides, preferably more than 1 at a time, as i have a large collection which i want to write to CD. Can anyone reccommend one to me ? I'm using Windows XP. Thanks

-pops- 15:18 06 Aug 03

If, as you say, you have a lot of negatives and slides, you would be far better with the dedicated film scanner. Results from one of these is infinitely superior to a flatbed (which aren't mede for the purpose).

click here&

Stuartli 15:32 06 Aug 03

If you key in film scanner and similar in the Search panel you will find numerous threads on this subject, all of which offer excellent advice.

But for £130 you are asking a lot - even reconditioned ones from top manufacturers cost considerably more.

There's one for £179.99 at this link:

click here={C13E5C42-4F83-40A0-862A-5462552B92C2}&MC=&TRK=14

but even so it doesn't offer the resolution capability of scanners from Minolta, Nikon etc.

Occasionally Morgan Computers (click here) offers reconditioned ones - it may be worth trying them to see if they have any in stock.

-pops- 18:10 06 Aug 03

My ref gives a scanner which is 10 pence below the price limit maccles asks for.

I don't have one of these scanners myself but I have borrowed one from a friend and found them quite satisfactory.

Bingalau 18:58 06 Aug 03

I bought an "HP Scanjet 3570c" from "Costco" for about £80 and I have found it very suitable for all my slides, which I now have on C.D. I know that "Makro" have the same scanner for a little bit cheaper.. It may not be suitable for the professional type photographer. But I have used it for slides and negatives straight into "Photoshop" and then you can mess about with them to your hearts' content.
There are numerous threads about scanners on/in this forum and you should find something suitable if you search for them..Good luck..
Bingalau......

Stuartli 08:56 07 Aug 03

Unfortunately your link doesn't work, but neither does the actual jessops website at the moment...:-)

The price seems exceptional, but you need a film scanner capable of reproducing the high levels of resolution of 35mm negs to truly make it worthwhile.

You don't state the capability of the film scanner you point to and, until the link works, it would be difficult to comment.

-pops- 09:32 07 Aug 03

The link works on my machine.

At the risk of stuffing this site and I know this will most likely be garbled but:

"The Jessops Film Scanner is aimed squarely at traditional 35mm photographers who are interested in Digital Imaging but don't want spend a fortune to get started.

The scanner offers up to 36 bit scanning at a optical resolution of 1800 dpi and interpolated resolution is a whopping 19,200 x 19,200 dpi.

Connection, to a Windows 98 PC or Mac with OS8 or better, is via USB cable making the whole package extremely easy to use. The USB connection also makes for fast scan times; 10 seconds for a preview and just 35 seconds for a full scan at 1800dpi.

The scanner comes bundled with a full suite of software as follows:

Presto! PageManager Deluxe for PC & Mac

A powerful tool that allows you to easily scan documents and images into you computer, maintain them electronically, and drag & drop them into other applications.

ImageFolio for PC only

A comprehensive image processing program that enables you to process scanned images.

PhotoAlbum for PC & Mac

Organises your digital photos in an electronic photo album for easy viewing on screen.

Mr. Photo Gold for PC & Mac

A program that features ready made templates that you can add your photos to.

CyberView for PC & Mac

Twain compliant scanning interface software that offers complete control over the resolution, colour and all other aspects of your scans.
_Features TOP
Type Film
Connection USB
Platform PC & Mac
# Operating System Windows 98
# Mac
# Windows M.E.
# Windows XP
Colour Depth 36-bit
Maximum Scan Area 35mm
Software Included Yes"

Stuartli 09:19 08 Aug 03

Thanks for that info - it's a scanner that's been mentioned in the forum on previous occasions and seems like an excellent starter setup.

However, 35mm negs are capable of more than 2000dpi, particularly in the case of slower films, so it all depends on what levels of resolution maccles requires.

Not too sure about the interpolated resolution though - seems to be a remarkable maximum level for what is, after all, a 35mm negative....:-)

The main thing, however, is that if your suggestion fulfils maccles's needs then I'm sure he will be delighted.

PS

This is the first time I've had problems with the jessop website - it must have been down at the time for some reason.

maccles 15:10 09 Aug 03

thanks for all your replies. I am really looking for a machine that will scan several slides or a negative strip in 1 go. I'm not looking for topgrade scans, just want to store and list all my slides on a CD so that I can find them easily in their box, or have a quick look at them on the computer.

thanks again
maccles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…