scanner link failure

mary1114 02:57 09 Jan 03
  mary1114 02:57 09 Jan 03

I am using windows 98. After having the motherboard replaced in my computer, I have all systems working except the scanner. I have installed the software for the scanner. When I try to use the scanner, I get "scanner link failure" as an error code. The manual says I may have too many thinks operating at the same time - I only have 81% capacity when I should have 90%? Does any of this make sense?

theone 03:28 09 Jan 03

What make of scanner is it ? USB or Parallel ?
If you press ctrl alt & del at the same time this will bring up the background applications window. I would close one then check if the resources have increased. Have you checked the manufactures web site, some have forums on them.

marmaduke smallbore 11:12 09 Jan 03

Right Click on My Computer Icon/Properties/Device Manager. View devices by Connection and have a look in that list ..especially at Image Devices. You should see your scanner there without any dodgy yellow ! marks or ? marks...as indeed all of that list should show clear of those sorts of marks.

I think I would be inclined to do the following 1st:
1 Check all your cables and connections carefully. Are other devices using the same PC ports working OK?
2 Remove the scanner, its software etc from add/Remove progs etc.
3 Remove the scanner from the list in Device manager

4 Check the Scanner manual...do you need to instal the drivers prior to connecting the scanner to your PC? Read the manuel carefully!!!!

5 If you have the Scanner software and Drivers instaled as they should be...then reboot the machine and it should find your new device OK and instal correctly...fingers crossed!!

6 If you have done all of that..check the scanner website and look for the latest Drivers and any known issues.

Check to see that any antivirus software isn't interfering with your scanner software.

Last but not least..check the scanner on another PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5