Scanner and large jpeg file size

Neill 09:46 23 Sep 03

The problem is that the scanned image (in this case the front cover of a football programme for eBay) is over 1mb even when saved as a jpeg. I find the scanner is easy to use (Canoscan LiDE50) but the software (ArcSoft PhotoBase 3) difficult. Pressing scan button on the scanner scans the item using Scan Gear then ArcSoft opens automatically. I get a CanoScan Toolbox appear where I can browse and save as a jpeg then I click Scan which scans it again for some reason and saves it as a jpeg with that huge file size. Help!

alcudia 09:48 23 Sep 03

What resolution and size are you using?

MAJ 09:51 23 Sep 03

If the scanned image is for the web, scan at no more than 150 dpi, it sounds as though you are scanning at a higher resolution than that.

Neill 09:54 23 Sep 03

Thanks you two
I did get a message saying increase virtual memory! I am scanning, I noticed, at 300dpi. So where/how is the setting to reduce that and the size?

alcudia 09:55 23 Sep 03

Following on, the image may well be over 1mb when open. The saved size depends on the rate of compression.

Have to agree with you about Arcsoft. Get Paint Shop Pro, it's in a different league.

For screen use you should scan at 76dpi.
For print 200 to 300 dpi.
Also check in Scangear for the scanned size of the image and adjust if necessary.

alcudia 09:57 23 Sep 03

The options are on the right hand side of the Scangear window.

Resolution at the top. Size about half way down.

Click on the advanced button for better options.

alcudia 10:00 23 Sep 03

I've just realised from your first posting that you are scanning direclty, and not from within a program.

It's better to use the scanner through an image editor such as PSP. There is a lot more control.

I have three canon scanners but have never tried it the way you are, so I don't know what options you will get.

Neill 10:09 23 Sep 03

That's brilliant thanks very much. I feel more confident to explore now. I got confused with cropping the picture of the programme so that the image wasn't A4 but cropping then right clicking seemed to work. I'll try and get a copy of PS Pro or try scanning through the software instead. Just one last thing do either of you want to buy a 1963 FA Cup Semi Final programme Liverpool v Leicester City!!

alcudia 10:17 23 Sep 03

If you want to try PSP you will find a demo on virtually any magazine cover disc.

I've got one for the 1968 final. Man City v Leicester.

Didn't Leicester beat Liverpool in '63, then lost in the final to ManU.

Neill 10:27 23 Sep 03

Had a look on my PC Advisor DVD's but can only see ULead PhotoExpress 2 which sounds like it might do the job.
Leicester City won 1 v 0 only to lose to Man United 3 v 1. I went to the 69 Cup Final and as a Manchester City fan am still waiting patiently for the next Cup Final victory. Thanks again.

alcudia 10:33 23 Sep 03

Sorry, you are right. I was a year out with the date.

Right behind the goal when Neil Young scored.

Paid £5 for a 12/6 ticket. Those were the days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…