Scanner driver problem

Ravenna 20:05 28 Oct 03

I've recently had to have a new hard drive fitted. My original machine was a Tiny one. There was no driver for the scanner in the Tiny Software bundle. I've found that the scanner is a Visioneer 4400. I've downloaded the correct driver from Visioneer's website - but still can't get the scanner to work.
I double-click on the icon - it says 'plug your scanner in now - and wait for it to be detected'. I plug it in - but it doesn't get detected. Trying to scan in MGI Photosuite confirms it isn't working. As far as I know, the scanner is working OK. USB connection.
Any ideas?
Digital camera doesn't seem to be detected either. This uses the other USB cable.

MichelleC 09:15 29 Oct 03

Does any other device work on this usb?

Stuartli 09:23 29 Oct 03

If you are using a USB hub and it is an unpowered variety, you should run it from a system USB port.

woodchip 09:41 29 Oct 03

What OS

Smiler 11:30 29 Oct 03

Are your USB controllers detected in device manager. If not you may need to install the drivers for usb to work. Otherwise have a look here click here

Ravenna 18:55 29 Oct 03

OS is Windows ME.
The Scanner & digital camera are connected to the USBs on the Tower.
There are the only two USB ports - and only two devices I have. Neither have worked since I got the machine back.
I think the problem is with the USB ports - as neither device is recognised.
Under System Devices it says Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
There are then four things listed;
two x USB Root Hub
and 2 x VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller.
I'm still quite a novice at sorting out such problems - so no idea what it should say here!
|Any help would be great

enoonmai 19:03 29 Oct 03

Installing a new hard drive should not have caused this problem. Sounds like this machine has had a PCI USB card fitted at some time. Are you sure this is the same machine that you sent away. Maybe you should have come here first for advice on how to install a new hard drive, it really ie a simple process, and there are many willing helpers to "talk" you through any problems. It's possible you will have to flash your bios with an updated version to get back USB connectivity.

Ravenna 19:17 29 Oct 03

Yes, it's definitely the same machine.
I really had no choice but to get someone to fix it - as had no idea what was wrong - when it wouldn't start. And therefore no internet - to use for help! Also no other machine to try & transfer & save what was on the hard drive.
I do quite well, have fitted CD-RW, soundcard, video card etc - but some things are just beyond me!
Plus, unfortunately, Tiny didn't supply much of the software needed in such cases.
It's probably something very simple going on - I think I'll have to wait until my nephew visits - and can have a look at all the settings.
Thanks for your help.

woodchip 23:10 29 Oct 03

If you have a Via chipse you will need to download the Via 4in1 update

MichelleC 09:21 30 Oct 03

Have a look under Device Manager (not sure how to get there in ME) and see if there's a yellow ! under usb devices.

Ravenna 18:38 30 Oct 03

No - there's no exclaimation mark - of any colour.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…