//some 3rd party need geo

Scanner

Sketch 22:35 24 Nov 03

I'm after a scanner.

I like this one: click here

However, it says that it is USB 2.0..... but it'll still work on an older one won't it? Just a little slower.

Also, on boot-up today my speakers were 'fizzling' and there was no audible audio. I unplugged and 'replugged' and all is well again. I haven't actually touched the back of my PC in a while. Are my speakers about to die do you think?

SketcH

Wobby 22:41 24 Nov 03

The Epson 1670 scanner is an excellent choice. I have used it many a time and it gives stunning quality while being very reasonably priced. The software it comes with is easy to use also. It does sound (excuse the pun) that your speakers are on the way out. I am using click here at the mo. Oooddles of power and very few cables. Hope this helps.

Djohn 23:18 24 Nov 03

As Wobby says your choice of scanner is a good one and the fact it's USB2 connecting to USB1 will not be that noticeable, if at all. The speed difference between the two is great, but this is the rate of transfer of data, not the actual speed of the scan or print from a printer.

Both a scanner and printer will be governed by their own engines and it is these that will dictate the speed of scan or print more than the data transfer.

I would tend to think that your speakers may be OK, seeing that they work fine after movement of the connectors. It just may be that the joints had become dry or dirty, and the un-plugging/re-plugging has cleaned them.

Try a little WD40 sprayed on to a cloth and wipe the "Male" end of each connector and replace into the sockets. This should ensure they carry on working for some time yet. j.

SketcH 00:09 25 Nov 03

Thanks.

In fairness, this 2.1 setup I have is 6 years old and the only bit still remaining from an off the shelf 'Tiny'!

But the subwoofer is still 'the daddy'!

Yes, I is down wit it.

:oP

SketcH

SketcH 00:11 25 Nov 03

I need the scanner to import frames of animation, for digital rendering.

If the quality is as good as you claim then I shall hastily part with some cash.... the moment I have some.

Damn tuition fees. Damn them all to hell.

SketcH

SketcH 00:18 25 Nov 03

I've seen those speakers in 'Staples'.

The satelites looked a bit dodgy. The weight doesn't seem to be distributed properly so they'd fall over at the slightest touch.

Plus. The rest of my system is the typical inventive tone of beige. Its a theme. Gotta stick to it.

:oP

SketcH

Stuartli 10:10 25 Nov 03

As Djohn rightly points out, jackplugs and similar connections gradually build up a resistance; regular plugging and unplugging prevents this happening. It's the same for TV, audio, hi-fi etc equipment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…