Scanned ports...

Fateful Shadow 22:06 24 Sep 04

I keep getting someone/something scanning my ports, according to Sygate. They are always the same 4 ports, in different orders:

80, 2745, 3140, 5000, 6129

The IP addresses change, but always start with 81.

Any ideas? Thanks

Zaphod Beeblebrox 22:24 24 Sep 04

its more than likley just harmless traffic ie your isp pinging your machine or servers trying to handshake to see if you are on line. If you are really concerned you could try whois i cant rember adress but if you type whois into google it should send you in the right direction. Type in the ip addy and see what it throws back. The fact your firewall is picking these up means its doing its job so i wouldnt worry to much personnaly if you have alerts on turn them off and enjoy your surfing cos you will see these tpye of hits for ever and a day

Zaphod Beeblebrox 22:26 24 Sep 04

oops sorry about spelling and grammer i'll blame Stella

UK_Geoff 00:06 25 Sep 04

Try using this site.

click here

UK_Geoff 00:06 25 Sep 04

Try using this site.

click here

VCR97 19:32 25 Sep 04

Also click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:24 25 Sep 04

The 'alerts/attacks' are merely computers on the net asking your computer if it is still connected; these queries are called 'handshakes'. When you are connected to the net you could be going through many servers and routers. This occurs in a millisecond, so you do not notice. All these routers and servers need to know that your computer is receiving, so that they can send images and WebPages to your IP, which is in effect, your mailbox or receiving station. When on the Net you can pass through more than 20 servers and routers and they could all be handshaking your computer at short intervals. You will notice many of the 'alerts' come from Telecoms, which should come as no surprise as they own most of the routers etc. It is also interesting and miraculous that the 'alerts' disappear when you pay for the *ahem* Pro-Version of a firewall (see Zonealarm;-) ).

If you were being hacked, I can assure you that you would not get an alert.

Turn off all the alert buttons/warnings on your firewall safe in the knowledge that you will not be hacked.

It is utterly pointless trying to use Whois because all you will get is an ISP server operator address which is where the 'alerts' will be coming from. If you were being hacked which you will not be on a home computer, the 'hacker' would NOT use a traceable IP address...more like an anonymous proxy server.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple