Scanned Photos and Slideshow

I have some photos that I need to scan in and present on a disc as a slideshow. The photos are all different sizes and are saved as Tif when scanned. Whats the best and easiest way to go from there and build a slideshow I can put on a disc. Thanks.

holme 21:50 28 Aug 07

Briefly, use Windows Movie Maker to build the slideshow, add transitions, audio, etc. Very simple, very elegant.

Hint: Set the desired default display time and transition time before importing the piccies. Then it's built automatically. If you want to view each slide for, say 10 secs and then have a 2-sec transition of your choice to the next, set the default display time to 10+2 = 12 secs.

Then use a suitable disc-burning prog. Ooodles available but you may find one on the support CD for the DVD burner in your PC. IMHO these are often more capable & reliable than the freebies.

Give it a whirl. It's very enjoyable and satisfying. If you're not happy with the resultant display quality, let us know (with details if poss) and we'll talk you through possible ways of improving. HTH.

Thanks holme but doing it that way does what it says on the tin and makes it a movie with windows media player rather than a slideshow. What i want it to do is like when you are in your 'my pictures' folder and there is the option of 'view pictures as a slideshow'. I want all these scanned photos burnt to a disc and when you put it in a DVD player a slideshow of the photos starts.

Stuartli 22:13 28 Aug 07

You can create a slideshow with Irfanview (from File). See:

click here

Don't forget the plug-ins if you decide to use it.

eedcam 22:23 28 Aug 07

You can get to dvd if you use wmm you need to export the file as dv-avi and then you can burn it in nero or an other set up. Do as said create the slide show in wmm then save to my computerthen on the movie settings page choose other settings and from the drop down box choose DV-avi .Warning a 1 hour show would be 13 G/byte prior to burning to dvd

hssutton 22:24 28 Aug 07

Isn't that what Holme suggested?

Once a slideshow is burnt to a disc it is then essentially a movie. personnally I think Windows Movie Player is not all that good, but it will certainly make a reasonable job. My preference being ProwShow Gold, but it does cost.

eedcam 22:37 28 Aug 07

Not quite there was no mention of exporting as dv-avi to enable going to dvd and a slide show on cd bears no comparison to dvd in quality let alone quantity.

Stuartli 22:47 28 Aug 07

Why should a slideshow on a CD be any different to a DVD quality wise, apart from the fact that the DVD will hold a lot more photographs?

woodchip 22:52 28 Aug 07

They all need to be jpeg to be seen on a CD or DVD disc, to play on a Compatible DVD player

holme 22:59 28 Aug 07

Ah, wrong terminology. What I described is a conventional DVD video/slideshow, very easy to produce and which *all* DVD players can display.

To achieve what you want to do, you need to copy the scanned photos onto a CD or DVD *data* disc, as individual files.

Sounds simple but there are numerous traps for players, considerable limitations and generally *much* more preparation required:

a) Not all DVD players will display images as data files, or run a slideshow with them; check with the user-guide.
b) Most DVD players will display still images only in JPEG format. So suggest you re-format all the TIFFs to JPEGs with a Q setting of, say, 85-90.
c) The files must invariably be in 'DCF' format. You can generally achieve this by putting a folder called DCIF in the root directory of the disc and placing the images in the DCIF folder.
d) The player may - or may not - display images in sub-folders. Check the user guide.
e) No transitions.
f) Each image can take a long time to display full-screen (up to 12 secs each).
g) Every image needs to have its width reduced (by rescaling) by 7%. Otherwise it will look too wide on screen and/or the left/right ends may well be cropped.
h) High-res (scanned) images are generally to be avoided. Indeed, on most DVD players, the higher the Y resolution (in pixels), the worse it will look.
i) The image may visibly 'shimmer' (rescaling/dithering problem).
j) To get round g), h) and i), it's necessary to re-scale all the images down to whatever height they will be displayed at (576 pixels for standard TV/DVD), and reduce their width by 7%. If all your images start with the same aspect ratio (e.g. 4:3), this can be done as a batch. But if their aspect ratios are not all the same, this will have to be done in two separate batches.

Apart from all that, it's dead easy. Sure you don't want to display them as a conventional slideshow? :-? But HTH.

holme 23:00 28 Aug 07

Sorry if my last post repeated things others have said. they schnuck in while I wuzz still preparing it. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…