ScanDisk troubles

wilco33 22:06 06 Oct 04

I'm having problems with ScanDisk on my 4 year old
Hi-Grade notebook.After its been running for an
hour or so,I get a pop-up window saying,"ScanDisk
has restarted 10 times because Windows or another
program has been writing to this drive.Quitting
some running programs may enable ScanDisk to finish sooner".Have done this(quitting all running
prog's but with same result).I tried it also in Safe mode but no luck there either.Can anyone help/advise me on this ? I'm using Windows 98SE &
am also low on available RAM.(p.s.can't afford to
buy a new computer at the moment). Thx.

User-312386 22:17 06 Oct 04

sounds a little strange, but lets start with the basics

Have you cleaned all your temp files? To do this double click "My Computer". Now right click C drive and select properties. Now click on disc cleanup

Next lets do a little registry fix for you. Click start>shutdown and then click on restart in ms-dos. When the comp has restarted, you will see the command prompt, at this type scanreg/fix

Now this may take some time, when it is done, restart the computer and start tapping F5 to get to safe mode

Now try scandisc

After that carry out a defrag as well

Arthur Scrimshaw 22:35 06 Oct 04

Key clue to your post is the shortage of RAM. I was asked to look at my sister's pc which had exactly the same problem, if you don't have enough free ram the scan disk program won't run -same with de-frag.

I'm sure you may be advised of a way round this but you need more memory and are only putting off the inevitable.

end 23:26 06 Oct 04

can you clarify for me please...by "notebook " do you mean a lap -top?

and, if so, are there programs on it you do not need,

or are you in the state that I was with my original lap-top whereby I did not have sufficient "innards power" to even consider upgrading to the internet; as my computer mechanic said.."you have not got a hope in hell of that machine doing that work"

??how much RAM IS left?

wilco33 23:38 06 Oct 04

Thanks for the very useful feedback from all who
replied to my post,will get back to you when I've
checked out the various solutions proposed.

SANTOS7 23:49 06 Oct 04

I think this is related to Zonealarm if you are useing this turn off then scan
click here this may also help,good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…