Scandisk takes hours

agarm11 20:40 01 Feb 04

Decided to format the HDD, for no particular reason than after 2 years of use, the system was slowing down due to the usual build up of clutter. An afternoons work, or so I thought. Formatted HDD, installed win98 (which hung during the process as it sometimes does). All seemed well, until I tried installing software, which took ages and sometimes failed.
So I ran scandisk in dos, which took at least 8(!) hours and found no problems. Formatted again and installed Win98, and ran Scandisk in windows.
I started that at 12.00 today, 9 hours later and its still at about 10% of the disk surface (data area). Now in my experience of scandisk it can take awhile but not this long. The HDD is 20Gb, and prior to starting this "simple" task, had no problems or bad sectors. Anybody recommend any software to check the HDD, that preferably doesnt take 2 days to run?

Gongoozler 20:51 01 Feb 04

If you are doing a thorough scandisk, it will take many hours (I don't know about 8 hours though) because it is thoroughly checking all of the disk surface. A standard scan is much quicker because it is only checking the data on the disk. The only reason I can think of for your scandisk being slower than normal is if DMA isn't enabled for the drive.

agarm11 20:55 01 Feb 04

DMA is enabled, and as you say scandisk can take a while, but not usually this long even on thorough as it is now.

glad 21:19 01 Feb 04

Scandisk takes hours on mine and usually freezes before finishing. I've started to run it in safe mode and it's much quicker.

kimjhon 23:34 01 Feb 04

I've heard that the speed of the processor has some bearing.

Mine being 750 Athlon takes 3 to 4 hours for 27GB.
This is normal, I beleive.

kimjhon 23:36 01 Feb 04

I've heard that the speed of the processor has some bearing.

Mine being 750 Athlon takes 3 to 4 hours for 27GB.
This is normal, I beleive.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:54 01 Feb 04

click here enditall will help and is excellent if you are burning CDs.

G

agarm11 09:41 02 Feb 04

Well I ran an HDD utility from fujitsu which thoroughly checked the drive in about 20 mins and found no errors, so I'll just have to put it down to windows. Thanks for all the replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…