Scandisk Message

griffo 22:21 26 Jul 03

Rebooted PC into MSDOS mode to do scandisk/all and at the end got this message:
'not enough free conventional memory to perform a surface scan. You may need to remark (REM) some device drivers from CONFIG.SYS file OR in CONFIG.SYS you may need to load the EMM386.EXE driver to load your other device drivers into Upper Memory Blocks using DEVICEHIGH= statements'

Can anyone please explain what this means and what action I should take?

howard60 22:38 26 Jul 03

you have quite a lot of stuff loading at startup and possibly running in the background. You need to stop this running in order to carry out scandisk. Make sure you do not have your screensaver running while this is going on.

woodchip 22:42 26 Jul 03

This is what your Config.sys should be like for EMM386 I have left lines between so you can understand them better each one is on one line in config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)

Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

The lines in config should be under each other in config not spaces

woodchip 22:54 26 Jul 03

you can open Config.sys in notepad and copy the above and past it into Config, if you are Win98 or 95, then close the spaces and save the file.

griffo 20:45 27 Jul 03

Howard,

I thought that nothing else was running in DOS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…