Scandisk hard disk problem- HELP

alpeshxp 17:29 11 Feb 04

Having problems with my pc hard drive.

Have Athlon 1000Mhz machine running Win98SE with 30gb hard drive (Mesh unit 3.5yrs old)

Each time I turn on my pc it goes straight to Scandisk which then continues to carry out full scan of C drive.

This invariably gets stuck at around 289141 of 1874670 cluster and machine hard disk makes a grating whirring noise as if it (the hard disk drive) is stuck on spin mode.

Machine then freezes and have to press cntrl alt del to reboot.

On restarting heads straight for scan disk and same scenario as above is repeated

The only way to bypass this is to not let Scandisk run but Exit whilst it is running. The usual messages appear "You did not shut down computer properly. Scan disk will check for corrupted sectors on your C drive..." etc etc which if ignored will allow pc to boot up to Win98SE

It then runs OK. However prior to this problem emerging the light indicator on pc which shows the hard drive is active was continue flashing and I could hear the drive whirring even thoough my machine was idle.

Does anyone have a clue whats going on. Is it the worst case scenario - corrupted hard drive and if so how easy is it to replace ?

Or is there another route for fixing problem.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Diemmess 17:43 11 Feb 04

It may be that this is one of those "trying" occasions which an O/S does to test your patience!

It could be that the HD is failing, but if you have saved anything vital to a safe place, then it is surely time to do scandisk with a thorough surface scan. If you do this it is worthwhile arranging to do something else while the amchine gets on with the job, ( I couldn't stand the tension waiting to see......)

If all is well, it will eventually finish, declaring no bad sectors and then behave itself.

If it does show bad sectors, this is the beginning of the end and I would replace it - soonest.

johnnyrocker 17:43 11 Feb 04

try running scan disk in thorugh mode with pc in safe mode?

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…